Chapter 25: Friends in All the Right Places

Lemme just say this: cells are uncomfortable.

The comfort level of a concrete floor is nonexistent. I find myself squirming around, trying every way I could think of to sit comfortably. After probably thoroughly annoying Cato, I give up and pace instead.

I stare out the cell bars at the television for a while, but soon grow tired of the same repeated footage of the three of us entering the Capital. I find myself thinking of the stories we were told about before, when people actually had more than one channel to watch. I shake my head, wondering what kind of things people could want to sit down and watch for hours on end.

We don't talk much. There isn't much to say, and anything that we want to talk about can't be said. The guards look incompetent, but I have that feeling of being watched, and know there must be a camera somewhere in the cell. The thought of Snow creeping on me makes me want to punch something.

Not too long later, three guards approach our cell. Each is dangling a pair of handcuffs in their hands, and a older officer pulls out the keys. After unlocking the cell door, he orders the three of us to kneel with our hands behind our heads. We do as we are told.

The older gentleman stands behind Ryder, adjusting his hands behind his back to properly put the handcuffs on. A younger, stronger guard yanks Cato's hands down to his lower back, and tightens the handcuffs to the point of cutting into his wrists. Cato doesn't flinch.

I try not to be offended that a scrawny cop stands behind me, and move my hands to the proper position before he can touch me or tell me to do so. The corner of my mouth curls up when he startles.

Irritated, the man in charge of me grabs me under the elbow and hauls me to my feet with a strength I hadn't seen he possessed. A sharp intake of breath escapes my lips, and I swear we can all feel Cato tense.

I open my mouth to speak and barely get the "I" out of "I'm fine" out before I am slapped across the face. My face tingles as I snap my head back in front of me, my wrists flaring up in pain as my reflexes decide to forget I'm handcuffed and my hands try and lash out in defense. The younger guards laugh and shove Cato and I out of the cell; I glimpse the face of the older gentleman, but all I find is a set of pursed lips, leaving me confused by their meaning.

We are led down a short hallway, and each tossed into different interrogation rooms. There are two chairs, one padded and one cold steel. I sit in the former.

Not too long later, the door opens and a woman in business attire walks into the room. She barely blinks an eye before gesturing for me to stand, and I only hesitate a moment before deciding that it isn't worth the fight. I stand, only to find her walking towards the steel chair. I stop in my tracks, and watch as she switches the placement of the two seats. She sits down in the steel chair, and nods towards the padded one across from her. I sit, a bit stunned.

"My name is Rhoda Wells. I work for President Snow. In case you're wondering, you must be facing the wall behind me for the sensors to see you and President Snow and those accompanying him today to view you- and, as a side note, no, they are not in this building," the woman speaks, giving me answers to questions I haven't even asked.

When I don't reply, she nods quickly, and opens the folder she has laid on the table. "Miss Cade, as I'm sure you know, you have gotten yourself on the Capitol's bad side."

"Really? Whoa. And here I thought I was just in Snow's parlor waiting to join him for tea." I grit my teeth, knowing sarcasm wouldn't get me anywhere good.

Rhoda purses her lips. "I really don't want to be here any more than you do. All President Snow does for you people and yet you decide to go against him," she shakes her head. "Anyhow, I am here to ask you a few questions. How you chose to answer will determine how long we are to spend together."