18. Daze

18. Daze

            As usual, my alarm clock blared waking me for my morning ritual. I refused to allow myself anytime to think about the chaos that I was currently surrounded in. I grabbed a pile of clothes deciding to take yet another shower hoping to rid the dirt even further. The shower barely did anything to change my mood.

I stuffed my backpack cursing under my breath when I realized I didn’t even attempt the homework from last night. I double-checked my tablet relieved to find that it’s not due until at the end of the week. I stood in front of my mirror my eyes welling with tears once again but I sucked them back in. I couldn’t cry right now, I had too much to deal with.

I could still hear Charlie downstairs as I could the entire time I had been up walking around the house. I had to go downstairs and lie to my father about the whole Mike situation once again. I had to come up with a decent lie to tell him that Mike and I reconciled. Then again, I’d probably be better off not telling anything. Talk with Mike about not coming over for a while until I can talk Charlie into allowing it.

Mike could never be on his best behavior around Charlie so I was never even going to ask him to do that anyway. I found my coat wondering how I was going to explain to Charlie that I wasn’t using my truck for the next few weeks. I’d probably tell him that Mike was coming back to school and we were trying to work things out. He’d be more understanding if I just told him that. At least I hoped he would.

I pulled on my coat checking the mirror to make sure that bruise on my face wasn’t as bad as I half expected. I seriously wondered what kind of mood Mike would be in today. I found my phone deciding to call him before he came over to get everything straightened out.

It rang a few times before I heard his voice on the other end.

“What?!”

I sighed rolling my eyes, “Mike, we need to talk about a few things.”

I heard him groan along with noise around him, “What the hell, Bella?”

“We need to talk about Charlie. You can’t come inside the house. I’m going to tell him that we are taking things slow trying to work things out since you’re coming back to school today. I’ll tell him that you’re taking me to school again because of my truck. We’ll have to be careful, Mike.”

I heard him sigh deeply, “Fine, I won’t come in. If you’re tell him this, than I need to stay in the driveway. I can’t even take a hit this morning or else he’ll notice my red eyes.”

“Don’t even think about blaming me for this, Mike. Things have to be done carefully. I’ll see you in an hour or less. I’d like to get to school before the bell rings…”

I hit the end button on the phone sick of hearing his strangled sighs and grunts. I turned off my phone leaving it in my room as I grabbed my backpack. It was time to confront Charlie and I was less than excited about it. I stuffed my old pair of gloves in my jeans the chill already settling into the room. I left my bedroom entering the bathroom for the tedious things.

I didn’t brush my teeth when I showered so it gave me some extra time alone. I took my time hoping to come up with the right words to tell to Charlie. My stomach felt like mush as I tried to shove the nerves aside hoping that I wouldn’t throw up the bile rising up my throat. I left the bathroom once I finished my teeth my fingers tightening around the strap of my backpack. I took a deep breath before I took the stairs slowly and carefully. I didn’t want to chance falling down the stairs by taking two at a time with how clumsy I could be.

The TV in the living room was on as usual but instead of news or weather, it was on a sports channel. I rolled my eyes entering the kitchen. Charlie was, actually, standing, for once, at the coffee maker with the newspaper on the counter beside him. He turned smiling at me, “Bells, there you are. I was about to think I’d have to wake you up myself again.”