6. Homework

6. Homework

            I pull my bottom lip between my teeth just about biting hard enough to make my lip bleed. My feet rub against the fabric of the couch as I force myself to stay seated on the couch and not check out the window again. The static and voices from the television in front of me are more like background noise.

My eyes blink toward the clock above the TV showing me only five minutes have passed since the last time I looked at the device. My hand comes back toward my mouth trading the tips of my fingers for my bottom lip. Biting one’s nails is a horrible habit that I somehow I picked up after Mike changed into the person he is today.

My nails haven’t grown past the end of my fingers since I’ve been dating Mike. I don’t think Charlie or anyone else has noticed that though. I manage to pry my eyes away from the clock moving toward the TV in front of me. It’s flashing the local channels and another sigh of relief comes from my mouth.

Maybe Mike hasn’t done anything to Tyler after all. I’ve been worried out of my mind for nothing. A chuckle comes from my mouth breathing a sigh of relief smiling toward the TV. Unfortunately, my moment of euphoria doesn’t last long as I finally realize that if he doesn’t hurt Tyler, he’s going to hurt me. Whenever I’m better enough to spend time with him I can already feel the pain from his hits and blows.

I push myself up from the couch my upper arm stinging from the stitches imbedded in my arm. My eyes locate the cordless phone on the stand next to the TV. I quickly grab the phone searching the contacts and recent calls. There are no calls from Charlie, Angela, Ben, or even Mike. I breathe a sigh of relief once again. I place the phone back onto the receiver looking over the room.

I can’t sit on that couch right now. If I continue to sit there, I think I’m going to spontaneously combust. My nerves are like live wires inside every inch of my body. I feel like if I don’t get somewhere and sit still completely things are not going to turn out so well. My bones even feel as if they are rubbing against each other in worry.

I turn toward the kitchen hoping a glass of water or tea will calm down my nerves. I can only hope for some sort of miracle. I trudge into the kitchen glancing toward the half-full sink before moving toward the fridge. I quickly pull it open the fridge the smell overwhelming my nose completely. Some of the smells are pleasant while something else smells horrible causing a cough to build up through my mouth. I shake my head waving a hand in front of my nose to disperse the smell. I quickly grab a can coke from the shelf before shutting the door back behind me as quick as I can.

I pop the can open taking a seat at the table. I shake my head hoping to dispel the dizziness coming over my body. I take a sip of the coke the taste all wrong in my mouth causing me to quickly cover my mouth running toward the sink. The coke falls from my mouth into the sink before I ever got to swallow it in the first place. I sigh feeling guilty about wasting a full can of coke.

I shake my head turning my head as I pour the entire can of coke down the drain. Nothing can apparently settle my stomach. I should just get used to my stomach being a constant mess of tangled nerves. I place the can on the counter leaving it behind moving toward the living room once again.

The living room is loud because of the television. I slouch on the couch again my arm stinging from the stitches. I groan shaking my head realizing the medicine must be wearing off or something. My eyes find a blanket draped over the back of the couch. I sigh grabbing the bottom of it letting it fall over me warming my legs up enough to concentrate on something other than the pain in my arm.

I lean back against the couch pulling the cover underneath my chin. My nerves are wracking my body and it’s hard to think about anything other than an image of Tyler’s broken body. If I had only paid attention during the party nothing would have happened. Mike and I would be at school right now and no one else would get hurt because of my stupidity.