Chapter Three: KATIRINA

I had not all ways been a slave. In truth I was sold into slavery by nuns on a distant planet. I barely remember them clearly, the other orphaned children are also a blur in my mind. I do remember how lonely I was there. I had never truly fit in amongst the others. I was told that the nuns had run out of room and money for all of us to live with them. So they sold us to slavery, earning them both space and gold. I was not the only child who was sold. The others, however, we sold to different families while I remained with the Slave Dealer. And with the Slave Dealer I have been ever since.

I first developed my abilities when I was fourteen. My master was in acting a brutal beating when they emerged. At first my master had been confused by my gifts, in that confusion my beating had continued for a different reason. Through the next year my master had watched me closely. Studying me and my gifts. Sometime during that year I had become his personal slave, receiving the bracelet that forces me to obey his every command.

I was fifteen the first time I killed someone. My master had brought me into his personal quarters. He had a man gagged and tied to a chair. I was told that the man had fallen in love with one of the woman my master was preparing to sell on the next planet. After my master refused to give the woman to the man, he had tried to take the woman away in secret, but was caught. I still could see the determination in his eyes as he made peace with death. I still remember how silent he had become when my master forced me to slowly end his life. This man, who I knew nothing about, is the one to this day that gives me the strength to carry on. He was the strongest person I had ever meet before. He had defied my master with his silence until he drew his last breath. His death is the one that stand out amongst the others I have caused.

My master had worn a new expression that I had never seen before that day. His eyes had become bright, with a small smile on his lips. It was an expression I had learned meant death was around the corner, and I was the one holding conducting it. It was the sinister smile my master now wore as he stared down his nose at the Prince. It was a smile that appeared when my master dislikes the defience in a person. It is a smile that means my master plans on torturing someone until they break to pieces. I could almost see the princes death now, and it made me feel sick to my stomach at the thought of it.