Chapter Twenty-One: KATIRINA

The water had been unforgiving, knocking me to and frow. When I finally managed to claw my way onto land, I didn't know what I was more grateful for. Breathing in air instead of water, or that the metal bracelet was no longer on my wrist. It had popped off moments after I had hit the water. The freezing temperature had cooled the blood within, giving the false impression that either I or my master was dead, an that it was no longer needed.

I let out a small laugh, as I lifted my hand, examining the patch of skin I had not seen in years. The skin beneath was only a few shades darker, only noticeable by those who are looking for the difference. I let out another laugh, and another, until I was clutching my stomach.

I stared up at the sky, at there mow twinkling above. I needed to get up. I needed to keep moving. based on the look on the Prince's face before I jumped, he was going to have people looking for me. Inching my way to my feet, I let out a shiver. The once beautiful dress, was now soaking wet, and far too heavy, for me to get very far.

I felt the gentle caress of the energy around me, but I could not bring myself to draw in any of it. I didn't trust my abilities, and more to the point, I didn't trust myself in using them.

I glanced around myself, studying my surroundings. In the distance, between the trees of the surrounding forest, I could make out the lights of civilization. Perhaps, it was that village that I had seen from the balcony.

I debated whether or not I should chance headed towards the light. Undoubtedly, that would be one of the first places the prince will look for me. On the other hand, I would stand out dress in this ball gown. In the end, my shivering won out. I was far to cold to risk going anywhere but towards the promise of warm in the nearby village.

I let out a sneeze, as I began my journey toward the village. My vision began to slowly darken, as I drew closer. And I could no longer feel my hands or feet when I finally reached the edge, where the forest meet the village. I examined the small houses through blurry eyes. I sneezed again, and black dots began to cloud my vision. I stumbled blindly, then collapsed on a hard piece of stone. I tried to push myself up, but found that my body was rebelling against me. I let out a pained whine, as the world began to spin around me.

Then my vision went black.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I felt a gentle caress, swipe across my forehead. Felt as the cool water dribbled down my nose. I turned my head, trying to open my eyes.

"Her fever is breaking." I heard a voice say. It was a soft voice, that seemed to float around me like mist. I felt a cool hand brush across my skin.

"Good." a rough masculine voice snapped. "The sooner she regains her health, the sooner she can leave. Five mouths are too much to feed already. We have no room for another.

"I couldn't just leave her there. She was laying half-dead on our front porch." The soft voice says again. Then pauses for a moment. "The Goddess damns those who turn away the ill. She would strike down upon us if I---"

I heard a snort. Then the man was yelling. "Your Goddess. I should have known." He gripped. "Well is your Goddess going to put food on the table? Is she going to bring in the coin?" Then he was laughing like a broken robot, dull and mechanically. I heard a door slam, and the cool hands back on my face.

I tried once again to open, only to shut them again at the sight of blazing light. I turned my head to the side, and blinked my eyes open. The light blinded me again, I blinked once. Then again and again, until the burning sensation faded and shapes began to form. The first thing I could see was a shrine. Decorated with flowers and bells, it was a simple thing, dedicated to a wooden woman dressed in blue. I turned my head, and saw that the cement walls were bare save for one decorative rug hung on the wall.

"Fear not little one. You shall live." the soft voice said quietly.

My eyes snapped to the woman who was kneeling beside me. She was unassuming, dressed in a plain brown gown, and blonde hair half covered with a brown cloth. She was so different from the woman who had surrounded me the past weeks. She was pretty, with eyes that were a sparkling teal color. And directly inn the middle of her beauty, was an ugly scar that stretches from her temple to her chin. She was lucky though. She had kept both of her eyes.

I tried to sit up, only to be pushed back down by the woman. "Rest." She whispered.

So I did. I rested for a hour before she finally allowed me to rise, satisfied that my sickness had passed. In my fevered state, the woman who called herself Susanna, had changed me into new clothing. Saying that my old dress, had been too ruined to even attempt to salvage.

That was something I noticed about Susanna. She always had something to say, that I couldn't even get out a single word since I had opened my eyes. In the three hours since I had awoken, she had told me about finding me, helping me heal, then about her husband, all while she buzzed about packing me a bag. I didn't know how she knew what to pack, or why she was even packing things to begin with, but I would not be one to spit on the kindness she was showing me.

"Richard does not agree with me on most matters. Says that women are to be silent, and obiedient. But he is a terrific father. Always wants the best for the children." She got a dreamy look in her eyes when she spoke of her children. Then she glanced at me. "Which is why he says you must leave as soon as possible." She shakes her head. "Goddess bless that man with a kinder heart."

After she packed a bag she looked at me expectantly. "Will you at least stay for dinner?" Her blue eyes wide. "The children will be returning from lessons, soon. I would love for you to meet them."

I shook my head. I could not include them any further, for risk of inflicting the Prince's wrath upon them as well. So with a sad smile, she wished me fair travels, and waved me off.

And as I was leaving the small village, royal guardsmen were riding into it. Their eyes had completely missed the small village girl dress in rags, when they were searching for a contestant dressed in a ball gown.

I laughed at the irony of it all, as I followed the path to the village the guard seem to have just left.