Chapter Nine: KATIRINA

The descent to the royal planet of Gallium was smooth, void of the jolting, and shaking that I had grown accustom to on my old masters ship. 

      The prince had left me alone to my thoughts when we had almost reached the planet, excusing himself to speak with the captain. His departure left me alone in his rooms, sitting rigidly in the snug settee. The room felt had fridge, cold, and empty after his departure, as though he had sucked away all the warmth as he exited.

      The girl who had helped me dress, Clara, had come to collect me once we had landed. I didn't understand half of the jumbled words that had come tumbling out of her mouth when she laid eyes on me. I distinctly recall being scolded, and congratulated at the same time as I was shuffled out of the Prince's chambers, and down the long metal hallways. Hallways that twisted and turned in a disorienting labyrinth. I couldn't understand how Clara knew where and when to turn, without the use of a map or symbols.

      I kept my mouth firmly shut though, restraining myself from speaking. The fact that I was perceived as a mute aboard the ship has been quiet beneficial thus far. Many, I noticed, speak their minds, without the worry of any of it being repeated, while in my presence. But in all of the gossip I have heard aboard this ship, none of it gave me a clue as to why I was brought to this planet, dress up and painted as though I were a glass doll. 

      Yet instead of asking why, I instead contented myself to remain quiet and wait for it to be revealed to me. It was a test of the patience the nuns had striven to instill in my young mind. A lesson that I had never been able to grasp until I had boarded the slave ship. Patience was then a necessary friend. One that forced me to hold my tongue, and saved my life more times than I can count. I have no doubt in my mind that like on the slave ship, having a bit patience on this planet will be a weapon of steel. 

      Clara was still talking as we came to a halt in front of large metal doors. My eyes traveled the length of them; curiosity as to what was on the other side was clawing at my sanity like a rabid animal. 

      "The people are so excited to meet the last contestant." Clara squealed, her charcoal eyes glittering with a hidden flame. I tilted my head looking at her, contemplating her excitement. Who was this 'last contestant' that she was speaking of? And why were the people excited to meet them? Clara glanced at me. Her face, like her eyes, lighting up in her excitement. "It is time." She told me. 

      The larger doors opened, letting the light of Gallium's city to touch my skin. I felt the buzz of thousands of energies swirling about me. Caressing my skin like a familiar friend.

      Gallium is a beautiful planet. It is not a observation but a fact. The planet was lush with life growing out of everything, covering it in color. It was the very essence of Life itself, green and healthy, full of energy that brushed against me, it  was everywhere. In the air, the soil, the sky, the water, the planets, the animals. It filled me up, making my cells vibrate with joy. Everything from the smallest leaves, to the multicolored flowers that sprout in random areas, to the birds that danced in the air. Everything that stretched toward the sky was full of possibilities of even more Life. It is a gloriously beautiful sight to behold, and nearly stole my breath as my eyes flickered from one place to another. Gallium had rivers, mountains, waterfalls, and an Ocean: something I had only heard about from other slaves. Things I thought to be mere legend were brought to life in a vibrant picture before my eyes. It was obvious from the abundance of Life that was growing, flying, and singing that Gallium is not without anything.  My theory is only confirmed when I spot the people. 

        Tall, and sturdy as the trees about them, the Galileans decorated themselves to flaunt the wealth they all have. Every color known to the universe was splashed across the crowd of people that had gathered to greet us. The women in outfits of the latest fashion, and the men in bright suits. That is how I spotted him. For in a sea of color, the Prince wore black. Seeing the contrast ,my mind wondered if darker colors were a sign of royalty on this planet. I shook my head as though clearing webs caught inside, and realized that the prince was speaking to the crowd. 

        "--to return today. At last we have located a twelfth contestant." The prince paused as the crowed excitedly whispered. He held up a single hand to silence them. "The Choosing shall begin immediately. We shall once again have peace." The crowd cheered. Clara pushed me forward, onto the exit panel that then lowered us to the ground. The Prince's eye's swung toward us, and our eyes meet. I stared at him walking slowly with Clara yet not moving at all. I could feel the energies surrounding me.... Energy from everyone and everything.... Except for him. I tilted my head as I once again searched for the familiar buzz of energy that lives in every living, moving thing, and found nothing. My mind thought back to the conversation we had had in his chambers, and although energy did not surround my new master, mystery did. 

       I broke eye contact first, dropping my eyes respectfully to the ground and followed Clara. I closed my eyes for a moment, taking a deep refreshing breath of clean, fresh air. I opened them and walked without thinking, listened without hearing, and followed without feeling. Clara ushered me into a Mobile, that I assumed would take me to my new life. I took another deep breath, and relaxed for the first time. Although I was trapped on an unfamiliar world, surrounded by unfamiliar people, bound to someone without life energy, I was content with fresh air to breath. Because I was still breathing, and until I was no longer doing that, nothing could be worse than what I have come from. 

      Pain and torment would forever leave invisible scars, yet I knew that scars would fade to distant memories. And with pain comes the knowledge that I shall never allow anyone to leave me with another scar, visible or not. It was this binding oath to myself that allowed my muscles to relax for the first time since the slave ship had begun to rock.