18.you complete me(ss)

There's not two minutes into the start of Luke's day that he doesn't feel constantly watched by a dozen or more individuals. It's not necessarily that he's paranoid, no, he'd probably say doubtful of his surroundings – paranoid is too strong of a word. Plus there's at least four people he recognizes right off, and none of the four are people he would want to associate with. At least not on a casual day.

Instead he keeps his head low, and all attention tiredly fixed on whatever it is Calum is blabbing on about in the moment. He’s grateful to have Calum with him, but the shift in gazes and attentions isn’t his favourite thing in the world. Especially when he knows he’s the topic of at least five conversations in the total area of the front lawn. He doesn’t need to be in the loop to actually be in the loop he realizes.

Calum happily turns to Luke pulling him into a hug. His arms wrapping around Luke’s torso even going as far as to slightly lift Luke up in the air. He’s been doing that a lot lately (not that Luke really minds) but it’s kind of like watching a kid be smothered to death by their mum on the first day of school: embarrassing, but still endearing. He smiles into it as Calum retracts himself from Luke’s upper body, keeping his eyes wide and full of mischief.

“I see like two girls checking you out, and neither of them are Aries.” He waggles his eyebrows, making sure to emphasize on the fact that Luke is now single. (Not like him and Aries had put a label on what they were in the first place, but he guesses saying single now is the best option to go with.)

Luke tries for dry humor but ends up with a plain and simple: ‘I don’t care.’ Which isn’t a lie given the situation, he doesn’t care. If it’s not Aries he doesn’t really want to flirt with them – or attempt to show any affection at all. He liked Aries for who she was, even if she wasn’t ogling at him every second of the day.

Calum sighs, which is fair on his part. He is the sympathetic best friend who tries to say ‘you can do better!’ or ‘who needs them anyways look at you.’ Which would probably be great, if this were a poorly produced romantic comedy – which it’s most definitely not. This is Luke’s life, which in and of itself could be a romantic comedy – without the romance, and also the horrible comedy.

“Luke just don’t think about it. You got me!” He smirks slyly, “and as I’ve told you many times before, you’ve got a lip ring. Who can resist the tall blonde bloke with a lip ring?” Calum seems pretty proud of himself, and that’s enough for Luke to crack a grin.

“You’re a nuisance you know that?” Luke laughs. Calum is quick to interject to that with a: “Yeah but at least I’m not you,” and Luke can’t argue with that.

“So,” Calum starts, “I hear you play guitar, I’m a bassist myself, but Ash and I have like this band deal going on—it’s mainly for fun but you should come check out one time.”

Luke doesn’t reply right off, he’s not really sure how he would if he’s honest. He’s about to shrug it off when Calum begins glaring at him – he doesn’t look that menacing considering he has huge brown eyes that look like something out of a cartoon. “Before you come up with an excuse I heard you singing and playing guitar so you totally can don’t lie to me.” He narrows his eyes. “I can smell liars.”

“Should get that checked.” Luke answers on the offhanded chance Calum would not hear him – he does.

“Seriously think about it though.” Calum bounces on the heel of his foot as he walks, making sure to make direct eye contact with Luke the entire time. “Aries loves guys in bands just saying, not that it matters obviously.” He winks.