15.red

Detention becomes their paradise or at least that’s how Calum had phrased it the moment he’d received yet another detention notice (the second this week Luke thinks). It’s a Wednesday. The weather is warm against Luke’s skin, hotter than usual due to his black tee that he’d ripped his own holes into – “it’s punk rock!” he told his mum, she didn’t believe him. His bag is slung over his left shoulder with ease as he makes his way to class with Calum talking his ear off on one side, and Cheryl applying mascara while she walks on the other.

Calum is telling Luke that it’s stupid he received detention when he was caught drawing inappropriate doodles onto bathroom stalls with sharpie. “They don’t appreciate my art.” He explains. Luke doesn’t believe him but whatever, he never was one for art anyways.

“How are you doing that?” Calum points to the way Cheryl is carefully putting her makeup on.

She’s keeping her attention fully on where she’s going, but is also carrying a small mirror to look into. Luke feels like if he did that he’d fall flat on his face within a second. “This?” She asks.

“Yeah.”

“Practice my young Cal.” She replies, her lips pursing in that way she does when trying to explain something to Calum.

Calum in turn nods his head in understanding. “Ah yes, practice in the art of makeup.”

“You know nothing.” Cheryl says when he looks up at her.

“No one appreciates me,” he fake cries the moment she turns away. Luke can see the way she smiles when he’s not looking at her.

Luke decides to take the opportunity. “I appreciate you,” he mocks as he goes for a hug.

He’s opening his arms when Calum backs away. He shakes his hand in front of Luke’s face trying his best not to smile as he says: “I’m sorry. Can you just get out of my grill for a second?” He’s making ridiculous expressions though so Luke can’t help but crack a smile.

“Did you really say grill?”

“I did.” Calum responds proudly. “And I’ll say it a million times if I have to!” He exclaims to Luke and Cheryl, arms raised in the air for emphasis.

Cheryl rolls her eyes, “You two are idiots.”

“Oi but Lukey and Aries yesterday.” He interjects. Suddenly Luke’s a little less interesting in the conversation while Cheryl is paying all the more attention to what Calum has to say. “Gett’in it! Well, sorta.”

“What do you mean?” Cheryl asks clearly confused by what Calum is saying, then again who knows what he’s saying half the time.

Calum goes on to explain to Cheryl the ‘Aries and Luke show’ as he so fondly refers to them as. Luke keeps to himself trying not to listen in on what they’re saying despite them being no more than two feet out of earshot. He keeps his head down when he feels a blush at what Calum is saying (though it’s not all accurate, luckily for him Calum wasn’t there for all the serenading).

Luke ignores Calum’s subtle remarks asking if he’d kissed Aries yet, if he’d made the move and if Ashton even knew yet. When Luke doesn’t answer Calum shrugs before pulling Luke into a hug telling him: “I’ll miss you while you’re gone,” and then leaving for his first class. Cheryl keeps pace with Luke for a while longer before she too heads off to class leaving Luke to himself.

✦  ✧  ✦  ✧

Wednesday lags, mainly because he’d stolen the hours of the night with Aries, playing guitar and idly holding hands beneath lunar stars. Luke learned that it was Aries who would hold his hand when she felt comfortable to, he didn’t mind, he just loved the way her fingers felt connected with his. So that’s how it was on Wednesday: slow, Luke trying his best to stay awake when he feels his breathing slowing to a steady pace, and trying his best not to smile stupidly to himself when Aries texts him in the middle of class.