Chapter 23 - Parker's Day

On Saturday morning, 8:37 sharp, I was awake and ready for the day. Well, kind of, at 8:37 I was still rolling around in bed moaning for more sleep as Drew started jumping on my bed yelling at me to wake up. I was just getting out of bed when my mom came rushing in my room with a protruding smile on her face.

"Today's the day!" she rejoiced clapping her hands.

"We're giving Drew up for adoption?" I said sarcastically, rolling on my stomach and burying my face in the pillow. Drew thumped me on the back of my head, and I could just picture the scowl he must be giving me, "Mom. You're too happy for me this early in the morning." I moaned, rubbing my tired face.

"I have some things I need you kids to do. Everyone is going to pitch in today and help me out. Drew I need you, Kyle, and Brody to be on the lookout for the truck that's going to bring the tables, chairs, and the bounce house. I have Kol and Brandon helping tidy up the house, Rose will be here soon too to help, Brooklyn I'm going to need you help too-"

"Sorry mom I have my own plans." I interrupt her.

"What you mean own plans you're not going anywhere!" She shouts at me with hands on her hips.

"I planned to take Parker out of the house and occupy his time so he doesn't see what we're doing and Nathan said he'd tag along." I informed her. The scowl on her face dropped a bit as she thought it through.

"Oh. That'll be good. So you do that. Where are you bringing him?" She asks curiously pushing back her bangs behind her ear.

"Just to the zoo, he's never been. I was just going to bring him to the one downtown." I told her, moving around aggressively to get Drew off me. He weighs as much as an elephant, I kid you not.

"OK, sounds like a plan." She agrees, nodding her head. Then pointing to Drew, "You're help me clean too while you're waiting." She orders Drew, shoving him out of my room.

"But mom!" He whines, "I hate cleaning. Why can't I occupy the kid's time at the zoo?" For an eighteen year old he sure is just as whiny as an eight year old, no offense to Parker.

"I don't care." my mom said to him, "Brooklyn get out of bed. Come on, let's go!" She shouts as she exits my room. "Nathan! Wake up, get ready." I hear her yell, pounding on his door.

I don't have to do anything soon. I have some time. I don't have to leave until ten or eleven; I can still squeeze in a few hours of sleep.....

"BROOKLYN! UP! NOW!"

Yeah, I wasn't really going to fall asleep anyways.

~~~~~

"We're here!" I announce, as we drove through the entrance of the zoo's parking lot.

"WOW! We're going to the Zoo!" He shouts excitedly, bouncing in his seat.

"Yes we are! Remember when you told me you never been to a zoo. Well I thought I should bring you to one for your birthday." I explain, to him as Nathan looks for a parking space in the crowded lot. Thank God it turned out to be a good day today. The weather forecast called for rain, but it never happened! Knock on wood it doesn't.

"I'm going to be able to see bears, and tigers, and monkeys, and elephants, and zebras, and giraffe, and-"

Nathan laughs nodding his head, "Yes Parker a lot of animals, but I have one rule. Stay behind the fence okay. No leaning over it, no hanging off it, no sitting on the fence; you stay behind the fence, get it?"