Chapter Fifteen

The meeting at Erudite lasted longer than I thought. Jeanine had explained the plans to me, then demonstrated the serums. They seemed to work well, and Max was so thrilled about it that he made a joke that one of us should try it. Jeanine had almost instantly suggested that Angelina do it, but I'd panicked and jumped in, offering myself up. The serum wouldn't work on Angelina and we both knew it. The only way of getting Angelina out of it was to suggest that I wanted to do it.

Luckily, Jeanine had only programmed the serum to last for ten minutes at a time, until she made the official batch that we would use on our Dauntless soldiers. I was under the influence of the simulation for the right amount of time, and the other leader's found it amusing that they could do whatever they wanted with me. I could see and hear and remember everything, I just couldn't react the way I wanted to, I had to do whatever I was told. Max ordered me to fight Angelina, and we sparred for a few minutes until she managed to pin me down and Max ordered me to stop. Then, Angelina ordered me to do the splits, just do see if I was able to, which resulted in very achey muscles when I came back to reality. Either that, or spending the last few minutes fighting Eric under his own orders, of course. It was safe to say that when I finally broke free of the serum to find myself pinned to the floor by him, the kick between the legs was not an accident.

"You okay? You're very quiet." Eric questioned, pulling me from my thoughts.

I turned my head slightly to see him stood slightly behind me at the door of the train. "I'm just thinking." I replied, shrugging.

"Penny for your thoughts?" He wrapped his arms around my waist and I leaned back into him.

"It's just, weird. The fact that you could inject me with this serum and then you get to control me for however long." I spoke quietly, so only he could hear. "I could see and hear everything. I remembered it all. I just couldn't do anything to stop myself doing what you ordered. I can't believe we're about to do it to hundreds of people, ones that we're supposed to protect."

He sighed. "We can't discuss this here." His voice was also quiet.

"Why?" I frowned.

He leaned down so that his lips were pressed to my ear. "Jeanine doesn't fully trust you yet. She makes out that she thinks you're a great asset to us, but she's got no idea how you're going to react to these plans." He whispered.

"So, what? She thinks that I'm going to stop it happening?"

"No. I don't know. She's just got the others being cautious around you."

"Great." I rolled my eyes and turned to wrap my arms around Eric's middle.

"I'm sure you'll be able to gain her trust. It's not like you're going to go against us all, is it?"

I hummed a reply, a sinking feeling in my chest making me feel like I was being drowned on the spot. I buried my head into his chest, holding him tightly and he softly kissed my head.

I can't believe I'm going to be lying to him.

~

The next few days passed quickly. Lauren and I observed the Dauntless-born fighting each other, and I noticed that Uriah and Lynn were doing fairly well. The girl, Rita, who's friend had fallen off of the roof after the choosing ceremony was not succeeding at all. She'd only won one of her fights, and in the rest she had been knocked out cold. She was going to be cut, and we both knew it. Perhaps she'd be able to get a few more points in the war games tonight.

I hadn't gone. Freddie had desperately wanted to join the capture the flag group, so I'd decided to stay with Ebonie and let him go. Eric and Four were team captains again and had left at ten thirty to sign out all of the equipment and get it prepared for the initiates, so I had the night to myself. I had put Ebonie to bed not long before Eric had left, then settled myself into bed with a book.