What?

1920s vocabulary for this chapter (yay! you're learning new words!)

- Gal: Woman

- Grab (a little) air: Put your hands up

- Gat: Gun

- Pump metal: Shoot bullets

- Spitting: Talking

- Square: Honest

- High Pillow: Person at the top, in charge

- Chilled off: Killed

-Clean sneak: An escape with no clues left behind

-Bird: Man

-Clipped: Shot

-Blow: Leave

-Bee's Knees: The best

-Take on: Eat

-Know one's onions: to know what someone's talking about

-Mug: Man (referred to dumb ones)

-Copper: Policemen

-Big House: Jail

My head was ready to burst, I can't remember the last time I felt so much pain before. Everything that just happened began to flood my memory and I sit up in a panic. "Oh my God I'm not dead!" My face slowly twists into confusion. "But how? 

     I get up with no grace in my movement, my back cracking as I stand up in pain. I look down at what prevented my death and saw matted Marigolds in a poorly shaped form of where I landed. I look up and shield my eyes at the sun ridden entrance I came from, dread filling my head of how I'm going to get out of this mess.

     "Hey gal! You better grab air or my gat here is gonna pump metal!"

      I spun around to the sound of a kid's voice and couldn't believe what I was looking at: A little boy that looked like a white goat was wearing some kind of 1920s paperboy outfit with a slingshot in his hand aiming right at me. "Don't make me repeat myself and grab air!"

     I hadn't the slightest clue what this boy was talking about but the fact that he was aiming a slingshot at me and yelling "Grab air" probably meant he wanted me to put my hands up. I listen to the goat boy and put my hands up still confused about the entire situation. 

     The goat boy seemed pleased with my actions and came a bit closer with a smug look on his face. "Alright lets spit square, who are you and where did you come from!?"

     I tried my best to keep a straight face as this little goat boy circled me with his slingshot still in hand, ready to fire at any moment.

     "My name is (y/n) and I came from up there." I pointed to the hole I fell from. The boys eyes widened for a few seconds but went back to being serious and continued interrogating me.

     "You wouldn't happen to be the High Pillow that keeps dropping whatever these are?" He pauses and pulls something out of his pocket to show me.

     I gasped and saw that he had all six lanterns that I had lit last night, most of them had some holes where the flame burnt through. I never thought there was anything down in this hole that was alive. Hell, no one has ever gotten to the bottom without dying!

     "If you're the one that keeps sending these down here, then how come this one doesn't even look like it was used at all?" The goat boy dropped all the lanterns on the ground in front of me except for the seventh dark red lantern that looked completely destroyed from the fall it endured.