6: The Call

It had been a week since the reveal, Lance and Keith had started secretly dating. They hid it well because even Pidge had not realized yet. The two would hang out but not do much flirty things. Lance told Keith about his father which Keith understood completely. He would not force anything on him nor would he want him to get hurt. On one particular day, they ended up at Keith apartment. It had been a few days into the surgery and the two laid on the couch curled up. Shiro was the only one to know but he would not say anything without his brother's permission and he just wanted the two to be happy. Lance laid on Keith's chest, Keith's good leg was intertwined with Lance's as they watched a soap opera, Lance's choice. Keith was confused by the whole thing but did not say anything because it was clear that Lance was into it. Keith looked at Lance, whose eyes were glued to the screen. He smiled and kissed Lance's cheek. Lance blushed and looked at him.
"K-Keith!"
When he was looking at Keith, Keith kissed him. It took a couple seconds to register to Lance. He kissed back, his hand going to Keith's cheek. He smiled into the kiss before pulling away. His face was red.
"T-that was our first kiss... my first kiss in a relationship..."
If it was possible, his face got more red.
"Well I am glad I could be your first kiss."
Keith kissed him again, this time the reaction from Lance was faster. Keith smiled into the kiss as he held Lance closer. He was happy to have Lance as his boyfriend and he could not help but smile. Soon the two returned to just cuddling and watching whatever it was that was on. Keith rubbed Lance's back and closed his eyes, just listening to the noises around him.
Timeskip
It had been a few hours when Lance's phone went off. He had received a call and when he grabbed it, his expression dropped.
"My dad."
He answered the phone and put on a fake smile.
"Hey dad."
The other voice spoke into the phone.
"Oh. I am at Keith and Shiro's."
Lance looked slightly annoyed.
"They are brothers."
More annoyance.
"Keith is here."
Lance closed his eyes.
"Yes that is him."
Lance reopened his eyes, a slight sparkle in them. Keith took this and figured that the father had mentioned Masked Marmora.
"Shiro had to step out for a bit. Keith and I are sitting on the couch watching tv."
There was a longer pause, and Keith just watched silently as he listened to the half of the conversation he could hear.
"No dad. No one else is here."
Lance looked in the eyes.
"Shiro had to pick Matt up from the airport."
Keith nodded, because that was true.
"We are just watching television. Trust me."
There was a point when the voice on the other side could even be heard by Keith and he knew that Lance's father was upset that Lance was alone with a male. Lance looked ready to break down crying. Keith took the phone.
"Hello sir. This is Keith."
There was a pause before the voice spoke again, though this time it was calmer.
"Now. I do not like to be mean. And Lance will probably be mad at me for this. But before I say it, you have to promise that you will not punish Lance for my behavior."
Keith waited for the promise which followed a long sigh.
"Good. Because I have no filter when it comes to homophobic assholes like you. If Lance wanted to date a guy, you should support him instead of bring him down. If any of your children wanted to date their own gender or even said they were a different gender, as a father, you should except them and love them. And honestly. I can see why Lance went behind your back to date me. Because I would not want an asshole like you to know about a relationship that makes me happy because you would turn that amazing life into an absolute hell. So step up and be a better father."
Lance stared wide eyed, fear in his eyes as tears streamed down his cheeks. Keith reached up and rubbed the tears from his cheeks. The male on the other end of the phone was still completely silent before a light "Your right" and hung up. Keith set the phone off to the side and pulled Lance onto his chest in a hug.
"I should have asked. I know I should have. But something needed to be done. I hated seeing you cry every time he got ahold of you when we are together. It is clear that it hurt you to not tell him. And... I do not want to see you hurt."