Chapter 13- One More

Everyone was dressed in their best attire, already drinking and laughing before we arrived. As we passed by, people would stop to bow to us.

It was a weird experience. I'd seen them bow to Rafe before, and I'd even bowed to my own Alpha, but I'd never dreamed in my life that I would be someone important enough to warrant a bow.

"Congratulations, Alpha. Luna," one of the men said. 

"Thank you, Cal," Rafe responded with a tip of his head. 

It was a blur. Everyone wanted to pay their respects. It was almost too overwhelming. I'd never been surrounded by so many people who had their eyes on me. Although they weren't just on me, they were on Rafe as well. My husband.

Those two words made my heart race. I couldn't believe it had actually happened. 

Another shot of pain went through my stomach. I bit my tongue to keep from drawing attention to myself. One of the perks of no longer having a mental connection to Rafe with my wolf missing was that he didn't know when I felt this pain. But each time it came, it was harder to breathe through it. Now was not the time to worry everyone with it. 

We finally made our way to the table. The food smelled amazing. I'd been waiting all day, getting small whiffs of what they were making in the kitchens. I couldn't wait any longer. I blamed the small thing growing inside of me. I seemed like I could eat continuously and never get full. 

Once Rafe and I sat down, everyone else found their seats as well.

Ty stood up in front of everyone, mic in hand. 

"I've known Rafe since we were young pups. We got into trouble together every step of the way." 

Some people chuckled, knowing just what Ty was talking about. Things I still didn't know about Rafe.

"But most importantly, he took me under his wing and taught me so much. Just what it means to have order in a pack, what sacrifices have to be made for the safety of all, and most importantly, how to be a selfless leader. If it weren't for him, his father, grandfather, the entire Granger line, we would not be the pack we are today. None of those men backed down to anyone. They all led, and he continues to lead with grace, determination, and strength. And now he has more to fight for than ever before. He has a beautiful wife in Katarina, and soon he will have a pup of his own who will undoubtedly get into all the same trouble he did in his day."

Everyone nodded and bowed their head in appreciation of their Alpha and everything he has done to get them to the point they were at now, a pack that was never to be messed with. 

It was then that I could picture our child as the next Blood Alpha after we were both gone. The child that grew inside of me was going to be the next ruler of this pack. He was going to be the nightmare parents told their children about. 

Another sharp pain rocked me. I couldn't help but gasp. 

Rafe's head snapped in my direction. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. It's nothing." I looked up. It appeared everyone was still listening to Ty speak about the greatness of Rafe. 

"It's not nothing. You're in pain," he hissed leaning in closer. 

I let out a long, slow breath. "No I'm not. See? Everything is fine."

I knew he didn't believe me. I was starting to not believe me as well. There was definitely something going on. 

It was then when I felt it and I locked eyes with Rafe.

"I think my water just broke."

I didn't think it was possible for his eyes to get wider, but they did.

"Ty," Rafe shouted in the middle of his speech. "Have Greene meet us in the infirmary. Now."

The entire area was silent. 

Rafe grabbed my hand and pulled me after him. 

"Please slow down!" I shouted once we were far enough away from the rest of the pack.

"We can't slow down. We need to get there as soon as possible. We need-"

I pulled back as hard as I could, forcing Rafe to stop. 

"What I need is for you to take a deep breath." I pulled his face down to mine and kissed him. It was entirely possible that was the last kiss I would ever give him. But I had to get him to slow down. It would do none of us any good if he panicked. 

"Katarina, you don't understand."

"I do understand. I truly do more than anyone, believe me. It's time for the truth, no more wondering. Let's go meet our son."

Rafe picked me up, carrying me the rest of the way to the infirmary. 

Somehow Greene had beaten us there. She stood waiting, suited up and ready to go with two nurses by her side. 

"Alpha, I'm going to have to ask you to step out."

"I'm not going anywhere." His voice was calm but firm. A good change from what it had been just minutes before. He put me back down.

I could see that she wanted to argue with him, but she also knew better. 

Another pain tore through me and I dropped to my knees. One of the nurses rushed to my aide, pulling my back up from the ground. 

Rafe looked helpless. There was nothing for him to do, no way for him to help me.

I made my way up onto the bench and the nurse cut at the dress, getting rid of all the tulle that was in the way. She even had to move my feet into the stirrups. I couldn't move or do anything. All I felt was intense pain. 

"He's coming now," Green said.

I could barely hear her, it was like I was hearing her through a tunnel. 

"Luna, I need you to stay with me now."

I shook my head slowly. The pain felt like it would never end. As soon as one wave ebbed, another one crashed into me. 

"I need you to push, Luna."

I couldn't. The pain took up every fiber of my being. All of my energy was focused on it. There was nothing left for anything else. 

"If you don't, he could die. He needs to come out now, Katarina," it was the nurse that time, and I could hear Rafe snap at her. 

I couldn't let him die. If I didn't hold up my end, then Rafe wouldn't get the chance to hold up his by protecting him. 

"Come on, Katarina! With the next one, let's go." The nurses voice was urgent as she took my hand. 

I squeezed it and pushed as the next wave of pain tore through me. It felt like I was dying. My entire body was on fire, and there was a never ending wave of pain. 

Rafe brushed aside the pieces of hair that stuck to my sweaty forehead. His touch felt so far away, but I knew it was him. 

I continued to push. I didn't pay attention to what the nurses were discussing with Mrs. Greene. Everything sounded so far away, everything felt far away, everything except for the pain. I didn't know how much longer I could do this. Everything seemed to slip further and further away. 

"One more, Luna. You've got this."

A scream tore free from my throat as I pushed again. 

In the distance I could hear a cry.

"It's a boy!" The voice was muffled, like it was coming through water. 

All I could feel was the heat ebbing away as the blackness enveloped me.

***********

Happy New Year! 

Yeah, I know. Kind of an intense way to bring in the new year, right? Hope you enjoyed it! 

Leave your comments below, and don't forget to press that star to let me know you liked the chapter!!