Chapter 5-No Sweetie

"Well I was just here to see if it was true," Aphrodite said with a smile. Everything she did reminded me of a snake.

"See if what was true?"

There were so many things that could be hard to believe, so many things that people may want proof for. What could she possibly be talking about?

"Well, the baby first of all, and then about your wolf." Her head tilted to the other side and my hand reflexively went to my stomach. I felt bile rise in my throat at her interest in the baby, especially after what I'd seen in the dream.

"It definitely looks like there might be something there, and I can hear its heartbeat already. Are you sure it's even Rafe's? I mean gosh, you've only been here for what? A little over a month. That doesn't seem right."

I wanted to smack her right then and there. She was implying that I'd slept with someone else, that I was pregnant with someone else's child. I knew that the baby was growing fast, the timeline wouldn't seem to match at all, but I still wanted to punch her in the jaw.

"I know it's hard to believe, considering I'm talking to you and well... I know your habits," I said doing my best to keep my voice level. "But not everyone is a whore you know."

Her eyes narrowed at me and I had to fight to suppress a smile.

"What are you anyway?" She snapped.

"I don't smell wolf on you. You smell like nothing, nothing that exists here anyway. There's nothing of it left in you. Can you even be the Luna anymore? How could you possibly take up a position when the very essence of it doesn't even live in you?"

My jaw clenched. She'd hit the sore spot. Aphrodite just had a knack for finding the open nerve and poking at it. One of these days she was going to poke the wrong nerve and it was going to cost her—dearly.

"What does it even matter to you what I have in me?"

"It matters because I'm a part of this pack and if it's going to go to shit and fall apart because of you I want to make sure I can do whatever I can to stop that. I quite like having a safe, secure place and I want to make sure it stays that way."

"Then you'd do best to leave me alone or you'll be out on your own," I said, an edge leaking into my voice.

"You can't do anything about it. Rafe isn't here and you don't have that sort of power on your own."

"I might not, but that doesn't mean I won't kill you," I said tilting my head to the side, my eyes wide and wild. "You did hear what I did to the rogues out there right? How I snapped one's neck and tore out another's heart."

Aphrodite paused for a moment before laughing.

"Darling, you'd need your strength for something like that, and you just don't have that in you. You're as useless as a...well frankly, you're as useless as a baby bird. I don't see how you're going to do anything."

She paused again.

"Do know though, if I find out that this pack is suffering because of you, I will do anything in my power to make sure that it doesn't happen. Got that?"

"Is that a threat?" I asked with a short, bitter laugh.

"No, sweetie. It's a promise, and I always keep good on my promises."

Aphrodite stood up and left, not sparing another glance back.

I found myself wishing that Rafe would come back, that I could talk to him in some way. Our bond was disconnected though, there was no way to get in contact, and he wasn't coming back, not anytime soon at least.