Chapter 3: Christine's POV

It was the middle of the day, Erik and I had nothing to do, so we decided to go out for a walk maybe visit Daroga. Daroga was Erik's old friend, like a brother to him really. He had married Erik and I. He had kept Erik sane while I was away for that year and a half. For that I am eternally grateful. I hooked my arm around Erik's and we made our way through the tunnels. By now, I knew them almost as well as Erik. I didn't need his help to get through them, but I couldn't make it through them in the dark like he could. After a few twists and turns we were in the alleyways behind the Opera Populaire. It was a clear spring day. The sun was bright, there was a light breeze. Erik's confidence had grown since we'd been married. He longer wore the cloak to cover his face when we went out. He walked about with his mask out in the open. He let people stare. I was proud of him. Sometimes people would stop us and ask about it. He would pleasantly answer most of the time that he had a birth defect. Some would ask to see, others were fine with that answer. He never showed anyone his face. Baby steps. I squeezed his hand and he smiled at me. The birds sang as we strolled down the quiet street. Being with Erik was perfect. Sure I was hidden from the world sometimes, but I was with Erik so it didn't matter. He bent down and kissed my head. My Erik. After a few more minutes of walking we arrived at Daroga's little cafe. Erik held the door for me, as he always did. He followed close behind as I entered the building. Daroga was at one of the tables. Erik looked at me and smiled. He ran up behind him put him in a headlock. I rolled my eyes and walked towards them smiling. Such children.

"Erik!"

Daroga grunted as Erik chuckled.

"Erik! Get off or so help me I'll-

You'll what?"

He squeezed him tighter and chuckled.

"Okay, I give up. Please not here, in my place of business!"

Daroga begged and I shook my head at them. The cafe was nearly empty. There were the other employees and one patron. Erik let go and Daroga turned to us as he cracked his neck.

"So, what're you two doing here? Out for some food?

No, just out for a walk, thought we'd stop by, say hello.

Yes, we haven't seen you in a while! We started to miss you Daroga!"

He blushed at this.

"R-really?

Daroga, you need to find yourself a girl. Stop worrying so much about your little cafe. There's a problem if everything my Christine says makes you flush. I mean, if I can get married I'm sure you can find someone. Strapping man like you.

Shut it Erik."

He looked away embarrassed.

"Oh Daroga you should settle down! Think of how happy you'd be! It'd be lovely! We could have dinner parties oh just think of it!

But how would I go about it?

Well,"

Erik started.

"You could use the Erik Destler approach."

I gave him a look.

"Or...

Or you could be romantic. Find a woman you find attractive. Buy her flowers. Take her to dinner. Erik's method did work, but I wouldn't suggest it."

Erik smiled and kissed my cheek.

"Make sure she's not married, or already being courted though.

Write a song for her! Sing to her it works, trust me."

Erik wrapped his arms around me.

"Do you sing Daroga?

Not as well as Erik.

I'm sure the girl you choose will love it no matter what. Oh and don't take her here for food the first time. It is lovely, but you want her to feel like she's being treated. Taking her somewhere you don't have to spend money is more of long term deal.

Oh, alright.

Well, I think we should get going. What do you say Christine?

Alright. Daroga it was lovely to see you. As soon as you find her you bring her over for dinner alright?"

I hugged him and kissed his cheeks.

"Alright. I'll see if I can manage.

I'll see you, and you're new girl sometime soon."

Erik clapped him on the shoulder.

"Alright you two. Goodbye.

It was nice seeing you!

Very nice! Goodbye!"

And with that we left the cafe.