Chapter XIII - Night Fright

'My, my, what have we here?'

My head turned instantly without hesitation, almost spinning off from the base of my neck, so my eyes could register where that sound came from. It was... him, standing under the doorframe of the entrance. With help from the moon's glow beaming into the building, this man was highly identifiable; that striking purple tux could be recognised anywhere. But, what was he doing here? What could he possibly want to be doing here this late?

'King Dice?!' Cuphead angrily shouted out of surprise. Hastily, he broke away from me and turned to face the die-headed man. 'What in the Devil's name are you doing here?'

'I should be asking you the same thing.' He declared, closing the doors shut and flicking the light switch by his side. In an instant, the lights flickered on above us, lighting the room and everything in it. Even though it was now brighter than before, a discomforting feeling had begun to wash over me. 'Though if I have to be honest, this isn't the best joint in town to take your girlfriend on a first date.'

'WHAT?' Cuphead shouted, his eyes widening to the point where they covered most of his face. 'That's not... I don't... we aren't...' Getting lost in his own words, a bright but subtle blush had made its way across his face.

'There's no need to protest.' He proclaimed, slowly stepping further towards us. 'I mean, who could put the blame on ya? She's a beauty this one.'

Out of nowhere, Cuphead stepped out in front of me, seeming as if he were blocking King Dice from getting any closer to me.

'BACK OFF, WOULD YOU?' He snapped in a tone that was full of hatred, causing King Dice to stop in his tracks. Not knowing how to react to his sudden outburst, I backed up a little behind him, grabbing his hand lightly. Squeezing it a little to get his attention, his head turned to face me as his eyes darted in my direction. It was clear to see he was uncomfortable in this situation, and frankly so was I.

'Cuphead, maybe we should leave now.' I suggested softly, whispering to him while still holding his hand. Hesitantly, he turned back around to face King Dice who, for some unknown reason, gave off this sinister smirk that felt like it stared right through your eyes.

'... Fine.' He growled, pulling his hand away from mine. It shocked me to see Cuphead this angry, but it confused me even more as to why. Why was he being so irrational about all of this? 'C'mon doll, we're getting out of this dump.' As he walked past King Dice, their stares never strayed away from each other, sending eerie chills down my spine as I followed close behind Cuphead. Just as I was walking past King Dice, I could feel his stare move away from Cuphead and down to me, almost as if it were burning the back of my head. But as I continued walking, I refused to look up at him, staring directly at the door and focusing on getting out of this creepy, abandoned casino.

Suddenly, I was unable to walk any further. A firm hand grasped onto my right arm and held onto it with a steady grip. My heart froze, turning my head around immediately, only to find King Dice had his gloved hand clutched onto me, looking down into my eyes with a big, malevolent grin. He stared at me with a look in his eyes that can only be described as being fuelled with heinous thoughts.

'What's the matter, dear? Leaving so soon?' He purred while leaning into me. This terrifying situation I was in caused my mind to go blank, unprepared for what to do. Trying my hardest, I used every ounce of strength I had in me to pull away from his grip. But no matter how hard I try, I couldn't break free. This was where I began stressing.

'CUPHEAD!' I screamed, still struggling to free myself. Turning his body around to the attention of my cries, his face almost turned to stone at the sight in front of him. 'CUPHEAD! HELP!' To my unknown, my screams echoed through his ears like a nightmare on repeat and had his heart breaking.