Chapter IX - A Sudden Romance

As the songs changed, they kept the same soft, slow pace and everyone else on the dance floor, including us, did the same. Unknowingly, as we continued to stare into each other's eyes for what seemed like a lifetime, our heads slowly leaned in towards each other until our foreheads gently collided, touching so lightly. His arms pulled me in closer to him with our bodies just an inch apart from touching each other. With my hands still resting on his shoulders, I decided to move them back a little behind his neck and wrap them around, intertwining my fingers with each other. This sudden romantic atmosphere Cuphead created felt so unexpected and totally unlike his silly, restless personality that I had gotten to know, but it was intoxicating to say the least. Looking into his eyes even closer I got to see a deeper side of him, a side that seemed to be kept hidden until now. His eyes glared right into mine, completely focused on them as if he was watching my life on film through my pupils. My face felt like it was going to melt from all of the heat transferring off from my cheeks. In a result of this sudden heat rush, I began to blink rapidly, trying to adjust my eyesight back to the way it was. I looked down for a moment and sighed a little as my heart continued pounding out of my chest as if it was going to fly out at any second.

'You alright, doll?' Cuphead asked with the most considerate tone he could make. I looked up at him, feeling the sudden rush hit me again but just a little harder this time.

'Y-yes, I just...' I stuttered, pausing to look back down at my feet shamefully, '... I-I need a moment...' And with that, I carefully break away from his grasp and turn around, speed walking towards the bathroom and entering inside without a minute to figure out what I was doing. I walked in through the door and entered one of the stalls, closing it quickly and turning around to rest my back on it. I closed my eyes and sighed to myself, sinking a little.

I think I'm falling in love...

My heart melted at the mere thought of returning back to Cuphead, but at the same time my heartstrings pulled at the thought of me being in love, dreading the feeling of possible rejection that could later come. I know how the story goes; two people meet each other, fall in love, become a couple, and soon after, one of them will get bored with the other and leave them for someone better, resulting in the other person being heartbroken and crying their heart out for many sleepless nights. As much as I didn't want that, I couldn't help but smile and have my heart flutter every time I thought about Cuphead. There was something about him, something charming and sweet to his personality that was so different from anyone I'd ever met. After a few stressful arguments within myself debating whether I should go back out or not, I heard the sound of Cala Maria call out to me from outside my stall.

'(Y/N), are you alright?' She asked, her voice echoing through the walls.

'Y-yes, I'm okay.' I replied.

'Are you sure? You've been in here for almost thirty minutes?'

'Yeah, I just...' I paused, thinking of an excuse, 'I just have long daydreams.'

'Okay. I just thought I'd ask since Cuphead can't really come in here.' She explained as I began to unlock my stall. 'You should probably go back to him. He's waiting for you.'

'He... H-he is?' I stuttered, looking at the moderately tall sea creature.

'G-golly!' She gasped, giggling a little with her hand covering her mouth.

'What?'

'Look at you. You're blushing like a cherry soda!' she exclaimed in a high pitched voice. 'Wait... are you... do you...'

'Do I what?'

'... You like him, don't you?' She asked with an anticipated grin spreading on her face.