Chapter X - Just Five More Minutes

Once we'd reached the house, we all walked inside and Mugman headed straight upstairs to his room without a word. It was clear that he was incredibly exhausted from dancing all night with Cala Maria, but who could blame him. The music was so enchanting that it drowned me of all energy as well. I sluggishly walked myself over to the couch and rested myself on it, sitting on one side with my hand on the armrest. The light footsteps of Cuphead's feet could be heard as they drew closer towards me.

'You tired, huh?' He questioned, taking a seat right beside me.

'Very much so.' I responded with a groggy voice. My head rested on the back of the couch as I began to close my eyelids, feeling them become unbearably heavy to keep open.

'Well, I'm glad the three of you all had fun,' Elder Kettle stated, 'But I think we should all call it a night. You two should be getting to bed. It's nearly one o'clock in the morning.' He yawned, beginning to turn off all the lights downstairs.

'Okay, Elder Kettle!' Cuphead boasted. Right as he was about to get up, my head collided into his shoulder softly as I'd unknowingly fallen asleep. He sat there, frozen, not wanting to move in fear of waking me up from my well-needed rest. His face was painted with a bright red colour as he processed what was happening.

'Cuphead, are you two coming or not?' Elder Kettle asked from the bottom of the staircase. A loud 'Shh' was passed on from Cuphead as Elder Kettle had figured out that I'd fallen asleep. He gave out a quiet chuckle before he walked back down and passed through the living room where we were. From a side closet, he pulled out an old, dusty purple coloured woven blanket and began to unfold it. Handing it over to Cuphead, he bided his grandson goodnight with a warm smile before heading back over to the stairs. Cuphead took in a breath as he readied himself to move away. Carefully, he grabbed my head and slowly began to shift away from me, allowing my head to gently fall onto the couch cushions. Once free, he'd placed the rug gently over my sleeping body. He couldn't help but stare for a few seconds as I lay peacefully on the cushions below me, only to be snapped back into reality once realising how tired he was. Cuphead smiled warmly before whispering a soft 'sweet dreams doll' to my ears and proceeding to head upstairs so that he too could get some rest.

'Oh sleeping beauty... wake up!'

I groaned, regaining consciousness and slowly opening my eyes. The morning sun gleamed through the window with the light almost blinding my sight, taking my eyes a minute to adjust and notice the sight of a beaming Cuphead looking down upon me.

'Just... five more... minutes...' I moaned, covering myself up completely with the blanket and turning myself away from Cuphead.

'C'mon doll, it's time to get up.' He whispered quietly. I sighed, opening my eyes a little and immediately closing them again. Unexpectedly, the blanket was then pushed off from me completely and the sunlight had burst onto my cold skin, leaving me to do nothing but wake up in defeat.

Slowly, I rolled myself over and my chest released a hefty sigh as I stretched my arms out in front of me. 'Okay, I'm awake...' I yawned, slowly sinking back into reality and noticing my surroundings. With all the strength I could regain, I managed to lift my body halfway forward and sit up straight with my legs lying in front of me. The more my eyes focused, the more I was able to adjust to the brightness of the sunlight, managing to regain full consciousness. 'Let me guess, you let me sleep in until evening again?'

'Nope!' Cuphead boasted, 'I woke you up just in time for breakfast. Elder Kettle is has made us pancakes. C'mon, before Mugman eats them all!' With a smile spreading across his goofy little face, his legs sprinted themselves out of the living room and into the kitchen. As I turned my body around, I got up and the smell of fresh pancakes wafted through the air like a pungent aroma, making my stomach growl louder than I expected. As I headed over towards the kitchen, Mugman entered from outside and flashed me a longing smile.

'Good morning, (Y/N)!' He called out, moving over towards the table, 'How did you sleep?'

'Fine, thank you!' I responded, giving him a warm smile in return. As I'd reached the table, I'd noticed that Mugman sat across from Cuphead, meaning I now had to make a choice as to who'd I'd sit next to. And, seeing how Cuphead can still give me butterflies with just a smile, I didn't have enough confidence to sit and eat next to him, so I walked around to where Mugman sat and placed myself in the chair alongside him. It seemed as though it hardly made a difference where I sat considering the fact that they we're both already filling up their plates with stacks of the fluffy golden pancakes.

Once breakfast was done, I prepared myself a shower and refreshed myself from head to toe. From then on, Cuphead had gone out for a stroll, leaving me with Mugman as he entertained me with all these little games we played together and chatting to each other.

About an hour later, Cuphead arrived back home and the loud thumping noises of his feet on the staircase could easily be heard. A knock on Mugman's door is what followed.

'Mugman?'

'Yeah, Cuphead?'

'Uh, where is (Y/N)?'

'Well she went to go get a drink so she's probably still in the kitchen.'

'... Okay, thanks!' And with that, Cuphead ran back downstairs and entered the kitchen, panting like a dog to catch his breath. I'd just put my glass of water down and looked to face him, seeing his figure leaning against the doorframe.

'Golly Cuphead, is everything alright?' I asked, concern draining out from my voice.

'Of course!' He exclaimed stepping towards my direction. 'Here follow me; I have a surprise for you.'

'A surprise?' And before I could give it a second thought, he'd grabbed my arm and pulled me alongside him, leading us both up the stairs and into his bedroom.

'Ok now wait here!' He stated firmly before turning around closing the door behind him. As I stood in his room all alone, I pondered about what just happened and what this 'surprise' was. He seemed really eager to show me this thing, so I went along with it and waited on his bed until he got back. Not a minute later, he returned with both his hands behind his back, giving me a cheerful smile.

'Cuphead, what is going on?' I questioned him as he slowly walked towards me.

'Relax doll, it's okay. Just close your eyes and hold your hands out for me.' He ordered.

'I'm not sure I trust this.' I giggled, closing my eyes as he asked but keeping my hands beside me.

'It's fine, I promise. Just open your hands for me, please.' His voice demanded with a cheerful tone. I sighed and reached my hands out in front of me, closing my eyes and opening my palms, getting ready to feel whatever it is he was holding. After a few silent moments, a cold cylinder type object was placed in my hands. This got my mind racing of all the possible things it could be, but I really had no clue.

'Ok, open your eyes!' As commanded, I slowly opened up my eyes.