Chapter 19

This chapter is dedicated to dabestindaworld574! I hope you like this one :D

Requests are welcome!

(If there are any mistakes, it's because I'm writing on a tablet instead of my computer or phone)

-- Yuki :D

Xxxxxxxxxxx

James was pacing back and forth in his bedroom, his flesh hand gripping his metal one in a white-knuckled grip. He was aware that he was breathing heavily and that he looked horrible, blood-shot eyes and tangled hair, but he didn't care at the moment. He couldn't sleep, not when he knew that he had to tell Tony the truth of what happened to his parents. Despite the promise he made to JARVIS, James couldn't approach Tony the next day. Whenever he would get close, whenever he would open his mouth to say the words, nothing would come out and he would find it hard to breathe. His chest hurt with how fast his heart was beating and he could swear he felt it's rapid pounding in his ears.

He didn't sleep that night, he couldn't. He would get glimpses of moments he didn't remember before. James would be on a motorcycle, his metal arm glinting in the artificial lights of street lamps on the road, and next he would be in front of Howard Stark, looking down at the white-haired man with expressionless eyes. He could hear Maria calling for her husband even as the Winter Soldier squeezed the life out of her. James figured that hearing Steve admit to knowing that the Winter Soldier killed Tony's parents triggered something in his brain that allowed the memories to come forward. He wish it hadn't -God, he wish it hadn't.

There was a knock on his door and James felt like his heart was going to jump out of his throat when he heard Tony's voice, "Hey, James, you okay? You missed dinner again and I- Well... I'm worried about you."

James felt tears prickle his eyes and he took a shaky breath, squeezing his hands into fists when they started trembling. This was it. He had to tell Tony now before he chickened out again. "Come in... There's- There's something I have to tell you..."

"Okay..." Tony opened the door slowly and his eyebrows furrowed when he took in James' appearance, "You should sit down, you look like you're going to fall over."

James gave a wet laugh, shaking his head and running a hand through his hair, "I should be the one telling you to sit. What I- What I'm going to tell you is not... It's not good."

"Is this about what Steve's hiding from us?" The billionaire sat on the edge of the other's bed, " Did he tell you what it was?"

James shook his head, running his hands together as he stared at his metal arm, "He didn't tell me but... I overheard him and Black Widow talking. Tony, it's about your parents."

Tony clenched the bedsheets tightly at the thought of them, "What about them?" He stood up when the brunette wouldn't look him in the eyes, " James, what do you know about my parents?"

"They didn't die from a car accident," The soldier let out a shaky breath, his hands trembling slightly once again. "I- The Winter Soldier-"

"No," Tony's eyes widened as he understood what the other man was trying to say. "No, it can't - He - Steve would have told me, right? He wouldn't - My parents?" His voice was small and it shook slightly with his emotions.

"It's like Percy's been trying to say..." James' hair fell in front of his eyes, "He was trying to protect me..."

The genius gritted his teeth, eyes dark, "I gotta go." He wrenched open the door, slamming it shut on his way out.

"Tony-" The soldier's hand fell from where he tried to reach out towards the brunette and he clenched it into a fist. He stumbled back and sat heavily on his bed. "Oh, God..."

Light footsteps could be heard and James looked up to see Percy standing by the door. The poor kid looked horrible; dark circles under his eyes and pale skin. His small hands were shaking as he gripped the door frame but his sea-green eyes were hard with determination, "Jim Jam..."

" Not now, Percy. Please. "

"No," Percy's voice wasn't quivering anymore as he approached the soldier. He continued when he caught sight of the man's eyes. The six year-old had an expression that was too serious for someone of his age. "James, you can't give up now."

"What do you mean?" James sat forward, resting his elbows on his thighs, "Do you know something?"

Percy shook his head before pausing. He nodded slowly, like he wasn't sure exactly what he was going to say next. "What happens next, what you choose, will decide the war. You have to," Percy's voice wavered for a moment and he blinked rapidly. "You have to choose a side- red or blue."

"Red... Or blue? What does that- Percy!" James lunged forward and caught the child when he suddenly pitched forward. What was wrong with the kid? Everything that was happening to the child; the panic attacks, the visions, the way his powers that James saw from the video feed seemed to be ripped from his body, it all couldn't be normal. He understood that the child was a son of Poseidon from what Thor told him but when he saw the video of when Percy controlled the water, it almost looked more like he was screaming in pain than out of despair...

"It's okay, kid," James stood up, gently cradling the six year-old in his arms. We'll figure out what's going on. Let's get you to Bruce. "

--

"What happened?" Bruce demanded as he walked swiftly into the Tower's medical room. "JARVIS said Percy was hurt."

" I don't- I think whatever visions Percy's having lately are tearing him apart. Kid's been crying more than not and- dammit, Bruce, I've only ever seen someone this bad during the war. "

The doctor paled before nodding, beginning to check the child over. Percy was pale and shaking, his small hands curling into fists as he trembled. Tears were building up in the corner of his eyes as he screwed them shut tightly and Bruce could feel that the child was running a high fever.

"Mr. Bruce," Percy's lips trembled as he opened his eyes to look at the man. "What's wrong with me?"