Chapter 8

Chapter Eight

KNOX

I hated prisons. Could name on one hand how many times I had been in one. And it was thanks to Clayton Sterling, this was the second time I was in it due to him.

Watching him stride across the room towards me I wondered how he was going to take this. But I knew it had to be done.

"What the fuck you doing here King Dick." he snapped at me, and I was quick to stand up.

"Fucking keep the smart ass comments to yourself. And behave." I gritted out, that sent him on guard, just as Talen came running towards us from the vending machine.

"Daddy, I wanted chicken but they only has plain chips." he signed and pumped up on my lap.
I watched Clayton reaction. I saw him inhale sharply. I saw him, look at me then Talen. He wasn't sure what to say, and I didn't blame the poor bastard.

I put the colouring sheets out and Talen started to colour, while complaining about the stinky chips that he hates. He wanted to know who had stocked the vending machine up with stinky chips.

Clayton was still staring at me. Then at Talen.

He swallowed sharply and didn't know what to say.

"So Talen is three years old , isn't that right bud." I spoke, trying to give Clayton a chance to speak.

Clayton seemed unable to form words.

"I'm a big boy." Talen said proudly. "And soon to be a big brother." he added and my face dropped. Fuck he wasn't meant to say that.
With that Clayton turned his eyes on to me. A glare within them. He thought I had brought Talen here to hurt him and I had wanted to do the opposite.

Talen goes back to drawing his picture, and I move him off my lap. To speak to Clayton privately.

"I didn't bring him here to hurt you." I whispered. "It's important to me that I do right by him and meeting you is part of that."

He scoffed. "You saying you aren't with her?"

"Never said that."

His lips formed a firm line and I knew what he was feeling cause I had felt it all those years ago when she was with him. Just I didn't know it was Clayton that was stealing my best friend.

"So you married, got my son, happy for ya." he scoffed, furious.

"If ya gunna be childish I'll leave."

He locked eyes with me, with a glare. "What did you expect? You bring my child in here, who you brought up, without my permission!" He hissed at me, keeping his voice low from Talen.

"You're the one who dumped her, remember pretty boy?" I threw back at him. "You fucking got locked up."

"Yeah and I regret it every day." His hands formed fists.

I locked eyes with Clayton, knowing now the reason I was here had to come out.

"I wanted to give you a chance to meet your son." I sighed, and this went against everything inside me, but I had to fucking do it. "I might have raised Talen, but you are still his father and I wanted to give you this shot at seeing him." I paused. "It's his fourth birthday tomorrow. And when you get out, in ten or so years. I want to make sure you go looking for your son."

Then I saw his expression fall. I bet he didn't see that coming.

I leant in closer to him, before calling Talen over. "But make no mistake Clayton, I'm marrying her." And then I put on a big smile at Talen. "hey Talen why don't you bring one of those drawings over." And Talen shuffled down, explaining in detail what the drawing was he was doing to Clayton and I.

Talen looked at Clayton, and frowned, looking at Clayton's arm. "That's my name." Talen says, and runs his finger along Clayton's tattoo.

Clayton looked at me, and I wasn't stepping in. Clayton looked back at Talen. "Yeah it is bud." his voice choked.