Chapter 4

Another short chapter! Sorry about it guys! Remember to comment, vote and fan ❤❤

Copyright: I do not own any part of the Hunger Games or the marvelous characters which I have minipulated into making this story!

I make sure that I get up early enough the next morning, at precisely 7:35am for the training score re-caps. I know that Haymitch is going to get a good score, I can tell by the way he acts and that dark mysterious yet dangerous look that glints in his eyes. I sit on the edge of my bed and turn on my small TV screen, making sure to turn the volume down so I don’t wake my parents and sister. Caesar Flickermans face appears on the screen looking chipper as he tells the audience that the training scores will be revealed. District 1, 2 and 4 all pull up between a 7 and 8. The district 3 twins both pull up a 6 and their older sister a 7, particularly good for district 3. All the other districts get an average score of 6 and 7. The lowest score was a 3 surprisingly by a 17 year old boy from district 8. When we get to 12 I am a bit excited, almost jumping on my bed. The girl from the Seam comes up scoring a 5, average there, then Maysilee Donner, the blonde girl, she pulls up an 8, I hadn’t expected that at all! The other blonde, the boy pulls up a 5 like the first girl, then Haymitchs face appears on the screen, Caesar has a wide grin on his face as he looks into the cameras and back at the card telling him the score.

“Ladies and gentlemen, Haymitch Abernathy from District 12, with a score of…” Caesar cuts off and smiles gleefully at the camera before speaking again “10!”

I, to my stupidity let out a small squeal and quickly cover my mouth with my hands knowing that was a big mistake. I turn off the TV and walk out to the kitchen to get breakfast, I make myself an omelet and set down the table for myself. I have to think of someway to congratulate Haymitch! I think to myself, than it’s as if the light bulb lite up in real life. I’m going to send him a note before the interview tonight!

”Who are you sending a note to Effie?” ask Ellie, rubbing her eyes and glancing at me suspiciouslsy.

“No one” I say quickly averting my gaze.

“Ohhhhhh, Effie has a boyfriend!” Ellie teases

“No I don’t Ellie!!”

“Effie and someone sitting in the tree K.I.S.S.I.N.G!”

“Shut up!”

“Okay, okay I’ll stop!” Ellie laughs giving me a hug, I accept it and she laughs while walking back to her room.

I shake my head and decide to get out of the house for a while, but before I leave I need to write my little note to Haymitch. I walk to my room and take out my pale pink notepad and my favourite pen, I write in careful handwriting,

Haymitch,

I will meet you at our spot tonight after the interviews, make sure you don’t tell anyone. I wouldn’t want you to get into trouble, especially with my father.

Love,

          Effie Trinket xx

I quickly slip it into a pink envelope and write Haymitch’s name on the front. I start to walk out to the door and find myself face to face with my father.

“Effie? What are you doing?” he asks, his face stern

“I was just going to go to the, um, mall, to by some clothes” I say sounding almost indifferent.

“Really? Do you have any money?” he asks narrowing his eyes and I immediately sense this is going to be an interrogation.

“Yes I do” I pull out my small purse that I always carry when I leave the house and pull out a $5 bill, not very convincing but it does the job.

“Very well then, don’t get into too much trouble” he says almost playfully. I keep walking out the door and I can feel my father’s eyes watching me as I walk away, as I round a corner away from the house I let out a breath that I didn’t know I had been holding. Thank God I got away with that!

It’s a short walk to the training center, about 15 minutes. I arrive at the doors and wonder how exactly I am going to get the letter to Haymitch. The only way I can think is asking one of the Peace Keepers that are guarding the building to take it up to him, it might work. I am the daughter of the Head Game Maker.

“Little girl, what are you doing here?” asks one of the Peace Keepers.

“I am Effie Trinket and I would like you to deliver this letter to Haymitch Abernathy from district 12” I say with a misleading confidence.

“Trinket? Oh, yes! Very well Madame, your letter will be delivered right away.” He says, his eyes training on me, slowly putting my name to my face.

“Thank you, sir.” I say and start to walk away, “Oh, please don’t tell my father I was here, you don’t want to know what would happen if he found out I had talked to a Peace Keeper” I say, a smile playing on my lips.

His face registers fear before glazing over to the unfazed state it was previously in, “Very well”