Chapter 2

A/N: I would like to dedicate this chapter to PrincessHarley. Her stories are the first I read one Wattpad and have inspired me to expand my imagination and creative writing abilities. I hope your son continues to get better <3

Copyright: No copy right intended. I do not own the Hunger Games or Effie and Haymitch!

When the program shuts off I sit there looking at the black screen and thinking about that boy, Haymitch. He looks like a winner I tell myself, because I really want him to win (for some unknown and strange reason). Soon he will be here in the Capitol for training and then I might even be able to meet him. The days pass quickly and before I know it the tribute train from District 12 pulls into the station. I made myself available the day it pulls in and I am right there, up the front to see the tributes. I can hear all the cameras and reporters yelling out questions as the tributes walk off the train.

This is the first time I see Haymitch up close. He is tall, with olive skin. The television screen doesn’t lie because he is just as handsome as he was at the Reaping, even more so now, standing before me. He looks down at the reporters and sees me, well at least he must of because our eyes lock and right then we make an unbreakable connection, like love at first sight. I smile up at him and he gives a curt nod before continuing on. It may just be my imagination though; my father says I tend to run away with my imagination. Had there really been a connection there? Or was that just me being too hopeful? I don’t know, but I am going to have to find a way to find out.

The opening ceremony is just as boring as ever. All the chariots come out with their tributes. District 1 as usual dressed up in glamorous clothing, district 7 as trees and even district 12 has their original coal miner outfits. They wave and smile, trying to win over the crowd, only one person won me over and we can all guess who that was.

I take a while to figure out a plan to meet Haymitch in person, privately, or semi-privatly considering the circumstance. But then I have it, while my father is busy watching all the tributes private sessions in the Training Center I will find my way in. But I have to be right on schedule or I won’t make it. So when my father enters the building I do also. He lets me anyway so it doesn’t really make a difference to the guards. I make myself scarce until all the Game Makers are in the training room. I quickly take the lift up to the district 12 floor, which is pretty easy to find, district 12 = floor 12. I find a room to hide in and wait up there until I hear the first tribute, the first boy that was reaped enter, he huffs something to someone called Indigo and walks to his room slamming the door loudly. Next up is Haymitch, I can tell by his voice that he must have done well in the private session because he is a sullen cheery tone to his voice. He walks down the hall and opens the door to what must be his quarters, which to the little of my knowledge is the room I am standing in. He slams the door shut just as the other boy did and flings himself down on his bed. I daren’t breathe for the fear of being found out and try to make my way out of the room. What a stupid plan I think, this is just going to get me in trouble. But it’s too late to think about that because Haymicth sits up and sees me. His expression is a mix of confusion, shock and anger.

“Haymitch, I’m sorry! I didn’t know this was your room” I spit out, nerves that he is going to hurt me kick in.

“Who are you? How do you know my name?” he asks, raising and walking towards me.

“Please don’t hurt me, but-but, I’m Effie Trinket. My father is Head Game Maker.” I answer shrinking back to the door.

“Head Game Maker? Really,” he lets out a small almost psychotic laugh which stops almost as fast as it started and pins my hands against the door. “What are you going here then?” he breathes, his face is only a mere centimeter or two away from mine.

“I wanted, to-to-to, ummm, met you?” I fumble over my sentence, silently knowing how stupid it sounds now.

“Met me? Why?” He asks drawing back still pinning my hands to the door, overcome with confusion, well that’s what I suspect at least.

“I don’t know exactly, I just felt a connection… and…” I say, feeling like a complete idiot.

“Oh, you’re the girl I saw at the train station, aren’t you?”

“Yes, you remember.”

“Yes” he drops my hands and walks back to the bed and sits down.

“Can I show you something Haymitch?” I ask.

You can tell by the look on his face he doesn’t fully trust me but nods anyway.

I lead him out past all the bedrooms to a door that leads to a staircase. We walk up the stairs in silence until we reach the roof. As I child my father would bring me up here to admire the beauty of the Capitol, we would sit up here and just look out into the abyss and talk.

“You know, you can’t tell anyone I showed you this. It will cause trouble for both me and you.” I say, looking into Haymitchs eyes.

“I promise I won’t, Effie” he says, a slight pang goes through my heart.

I sit on the edge of the building and pat a spot next to me, Haymitch sits down silently looking out into the darkness. Below we can see all the Capitol people celebrating the opening ceremony. We sit in silence until I decide to ask about his life back in district 12. I found out that he lived in the Seam, he had two brothers and a sister who were all very young. His mother was the only person who actually cared for him, except for this one girl. Heather was her name and Haymitch said he loves her, which made my heart sink. I don’t know why but I am jealous of this girl even though I have no right to be.

He asks questions about my life in the Capitol. What type of food we get. What type of school we go to. What we learn a school. About my father and the Games and, lastly if I agreed with the Games. I answered a short no. I don’t agree with them, even if they are forced on me. I tell him about my mother and the Games she won. He tells me that District 12 claims that they have had no winner yet. This I am extremely confused over but then I realize they must have shunned my mother and erased her from their history after she smuggled her was back to the Capitol on one of the coal trains and got involved with my father, who to them is the scum of the earth being the Head Gamemaker.

“Haymitch, I have one thing to ask of you” I say sullenly searching his eyes for reassurance.

“What is it?” He asks, staring back into mine intently.

“Promise me you’ll win” I say.

“I promise, Effie, to try my very hardest to win” He says, giving me a small kiss on the cheek. His lips linger on the spot a moment before he gets up and walks to the door. “Effie”

“Yes, Haymitch?”

“Promise me you’ll come and say good bye!”

“I promise!” I smile to myself as the door shuts and quickly glance at my watch. Haymitch and I have been talking for almost 3 hours, how time flies. I start strolling back to the door when I realize that I will be late for dinner. My father hates when we aren’t running on schedule. Even for something as small as dinner.