Chapter 1

Copyright: I do not own the Hunger Games, Qaurter Quell or the two main characters by the names of Effie and Haymitch. I do infact own Rufas, Penelope and Ellie Trinket.

As I walk around my lovely home here in the Capitol, I can’t help but be excited of what today brings. Today is the second Quarter Quell for the Hunger Games. I haven’t been alive for one in the past but I have heard from my father that they are a big hit. My father is Rufus Trinket, he is Head Game Maker for the Hunger Games, he’s has been in that position from before I was born. It’s also how he met my mother. Her name was Penelope Bailey, a district 12 girl. She won the 29th Hunger Games, which when even in his young age of 27 my father designed. My mother is now a timid woman she has nightmares about her time in the Games and of all those brutal murders that occurred when she was in the arena. Some of her terror has rubbed off on me, as a young child I would sleep in my parent’s room when I had a nightmare about the monster that lived under my bed. This was nothing in comparison to my mother’s nightmares, she would wake up screaming and thrashing around. Even as a young teenager as I am now I am still frightened of my mother’s nightmares. Now, after witnessing the terror that comes with the Games I can’t help but feel compassion towards the tributes of the Games, I know that the winner will be forever plagued by the deaths of their fellow tributes. But I am a Capitol girl and the Hunger Games are a form of great entertainment to us.

“Good morning mother” I say, stroking back her hair as she sleeps.

“Effie? What are you doing here this early?” Mother says, her eyes fluttering open, they reflect her background, Seam grey, that’s what she calls them. Apparently they are common in her district amongst the families from the less wealthy district of the Seam.

“It’s almost time for the live Reaping’s to begin!” I say, excitement creeping into my voice.

“Oh, Effie, what have I told you about the Reaping’s?” Mother says now brushing my browny red hair back away from my face. “They are not something to be excited about!”

“Mother! Mother! It’s almost time for the Reaping! It’s a Quarter Quell this year! It’s going to be even more fantastic then last!!” My little sister Ellie squeals bounding into the room. She is like my father, she has the same dark hair and green eyes. She even has his passion about the Hunger Games.

“Ellie, you know how much I hate the Reaping’s!” says mother, her eyes filling with fear and grief as she looks at my sister.

Ellie sighs, “I know mother, but it mandatory and we have to watch it”

Mother shakes her head and gets out of bed. “I’ll be out in a moment girls”

I waltz out of her room and turn our huge television screen on. Ellie keeps talking about previous Hunger Games and the tributes but all I can think of is the irregular 48 tributes that will go into the Games this year. As a Quarter Quell there is a special twist. A few months ago the president announced that this year twice as many tributes would head into the arena. 2 girls and 2 boys from each district. I thought this was a cruel fate for the districts but my father came up with it so, by default; I am forced to love it. I sit and wait for mother to come out of her room and when she does she looks beautiful. Her hair is pulled back into a braid which she says to have learnt from District 12.

The screen starts flashing and the Panem seal appears accompanied by our national anthem then Caesar Flickerman, the official host of the Hunger Games appears on screen. He introduces himself and does a small talk about the dark days and why we have the Hunger Games today. The screen quickly cuts to District 1 where a small girl with ashen hair is reaped, next to her is a big girl, named Cherish. The two boys are as equally big as the second girl but even more muscular. From the look of this one district this year’s Games are going to be as interesting as ever. District 2 produces four volunteers, all big and muscular, their eyes dangerous and haunting. District 3 is a sad moment for the whole of Panem when not two but three siblings are reaped. A 12 year old girl and boy with light brown hair, who must be twin and their 14 year old sister, the other boy that is reaped is another 12 year old who look terrified to be on the stage. District 4 another one of the Capitols favourites next to 1 and 2, reaps two girls who look equally as dangerous as the District 2 tributes and the boys look even more so. On and on the Reaping’s go, it seems like forever until we reach District 12, the last District. Something, or should I say, someone catches my eye in this district. At the start a thin, scraggly looking girl, apparently from the Seam according to my mother is reaped. Then comes a beautiful blonde girl, Maysilee Donner, her friends are clinging to her but she pulls away and walks bravely up to the stage. Another merchant’s child (according to mother) is reaped, he also has blonde hair. The last boy is the one that catches my attention, he has dark curly hair and the same Seam grey eyes as me. He looks strong and when his name is called his face is indifferent, not even a slight bit shocked. I am immediately transfixed with this boy, everything about him is just so, appealing. He walks up on stage and the District 12 escort meets him with a small.

“Congratulations Haymitch”

Haymitch, that’s his name, I must have missed it thinking about all the other 47 tributes. I have to say if at the age of 14 you can fall in love with someone you haven’t even met, then that is me right now. I know this Hunger Games I will be hanging around my father a lot more.