Chapter 3

A really short chapter! I hope you guys like it ❤❤

Copyright: I do not own the Hunger Games or any of the magnificent characters!

I run home as quickly as I can. I know my father isn’t going to be happy in the slightest that I am not already home. And the difficult thing is I can’t exactly tell him where about I was, that would just get Haymitch in trouble, especially in the arena. I enter the house and immediately detect the stillness and silence. I walk casually to the dining room where my sister, mother and father are sitting around the table, their food untouched. I can see my sister eye me as I walk in and sit down, her eyes silently pleading for me to apologize.

“Effie, you’re late.” My father says simply, not taking his penetrating green eyes off me.

“I know father, I am so sorry! I got caught up in-“I start, but quickly stop because my father is out of his chair and over by my side in a second.

“Effie, were you just about to lie to me?” he asks.

“No, father” I say but that in itself is a lie and he knows it, a sharp pain shoot s through my right cheek.

“I don’t want to you to lie to me Effie, go to your room”

I look over at my mother who has tears running down her cheeks. I know she would do something if she could, she hates seeing people in pain, especially her own children but she also hates being in pain and she knows if she intervenes that is what will happen. Ellie looks compassionate but her expression is hard and unreadable, like she has blocked off her emotions, another trait inherited from my father. I walk to my room, it’s a medium sized room, I have a large bed in the middle, layered with pink and green sheets and pillows. I have a small old TV in the corner on my desk, this is for the early morning broadcasts. I also have a beautiful mahogany vanity table, my prized possession. I love that table like nothing else in this room, mahogany being my favorite wood and the beauty of the small engravings around the mirror.

I race over to my desk and pull out a pen and paper, I quickly jot down I must not be late a total of 100 times. Just to be sure the message sinks in. I avoid going over to the mirror and looking at my cheek. I can already feel it swelling up and it feels a bit like it is burning. So instead I sit down at my window and look out at the training center. Soon Haymitch will have his interview with the Hunger Games host, Caesar Flickerman and his training score will be revealed. I sit there think about the possibilities of Haymitch coming back from the Games, crowned as a victor and moving back to District 12. I might be able to convince my father to let me travel with him to the feasts in the districts. That way I will be able to spend more time with Haymitch.

I must have fallen asleep at the window because my mother comes into my room just after midnight.

“Effie, I am so sorry about early this evening. I would have done something, I just, couldn’t” she says her eyes welling up with tears.

“Mother, it’s okay. I understand. I didn’t want him to hurt you anyway” I say wrapping my small arms around her. She gladly sinks into the embrace and wraps her arms just as tight around me.

“I love you Effie, you know that, don’t you?” she asks pulling away and giving me a kiss on the cheek.

“I know mother, I love you too!” I say back. She gives me another small hug before vanishing out the door. I realize that I must have missed the training scores being announced tonight. So I go have a shower and hop into my bed, I snuggle down and fall asleep almost instantly. There is only one thing that possesses my dreams tonight, a certain 16 year old boy with dark hair and bright mysterious grey eyes.