Chapter 40 - The Self-Proclaimed Assassin

Feng Yao stared at the man before her lips finally quirked upwards into a small, carefree smile.

Looking up into his eyes, she lightly replied, "If you let the servant girl leave unharmed, then perhaps I'll tell you."

From beneath the black mask that covered half of his face, he coldly scoffed.

"How do I know that she's not going to call for help as soon as she leaves?"

Hearing his suspicious tone, Feng Yao's smile morphed into a slight chuckle. Her movements caused the blade at her throat to slightly dig into her neck causing a thin trail of bright red to slowly drip down her pale skin, but it was as if she didn't even notice the stinging pain.

Raising an eyebrow at the man, she taunted, "Would you rather me not give you a hint then? I even let you follow me around in the shadows for the past few days without the slightest word of complaint, but it seems that you still haven't been able to find it."

An exaggerated sigh escaped her lips.

"Ah, what a pity~ I guess the reason why you finally stepped out of the shadows to attack me is because you still don't have the slightest idea where it is. But I'm quite curious. How are you going to get the information out of me if I don't want to cooperate?"

He let out a snarl. "Don't think that you're in any position to threaten me--"

"Then prove it." 

He suddenly fell silent. Feng Yao impassively watched as his jaw tightly clenched while his fingers tightened around the handle of his blade until they became almost completely white.

After a long moment, he finally spit out, "Fine. The little girl can leave."

From behind Feng Yao, Bai Qing shivered from the glare that the man threw over at her. But although she was afraid, she still didn't dare leave her Young Miss along with this assassin.

"Young Miss, I won't leave you!"

But Feng Yao lightly pinched her hand that had grasped onto hers.

"Go. This has nothing to do with you."

Bai Qing hesitated before she noticed the secret glance that her Young Miss threw at her. Instantly, she understood and quickly turned before running out of the room. 

As soon as her figure disappeared, the man turned his glare back towards Feng Yao again.

Feng Yao simply sighed. "How much longer are you going to hold this blade against me? Don't you think you've played your character well enough?"

He blinked at her before he tightened his hold on the weapon.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Although he said that, when Feng Yao continued to stare at him, he ended up being the first one to uneasily shift his gaze away.

Feng Yao continued silently studying his evasive eyes before her lips suddenly turned upwards into a grin.

"I guess you really have no clue what I'm talking about. Tsk, tsk. What a shame. I thought that you would have loved to have your beloved sword back by now."

Her words made his eyes suddenly flash brightly with anger before he snapped his head up to glare at her. 

"You--! Don't think that I won't hesitate in using this blade against you!"

"Then do it." The grin on Feng Yao's face abruptly vanished. "Kill me."

She calmly stepped forward another inch, letting the sword pierce slightly further into her skin.