Chapter 8 - The Person Called Hui Yi

After a relatively uneventful rest of the night, tomorrow arrived. By the time that morning came, Feng Yao's brain had already started hurting. She'd been on high alert all night, but so far, nothing had happened yet. 

She scowled and wanted to repeatedly smack her head against the table in front of her.

Who cares what the Emperor is planning? All I want to do is eat candy and twirl around in circles like all the other young maidens.  

But in the end, she decided not to break the table with her massively impressive ego....ahem...head. After all, there was a person sitting in front of her. And who that person was?

Of course it could only be Hui Yi. 

From where Feng Yao was sitting on her bench, she rhythmically swung her short legs back and forth. A single lollipop was in her mouth. With a bored gaze, Feng Yao glanced at the beautiful woman in front of her. 

Hui Yi was currently sitting upright with her hands clasped neatly into her lap. Her eyes were lightly shut as if she was asleep, but Feng Yao knew she was completely awake.

Ever since Hui Yi had arrived, she hadn't said more than a two-word response to anything Feng Yao asked her. Other than their first initial greeting, Hui Yi hadn't even looked her in the eyes.

Feng Yao sighed. Stretching her hand outwards to rest on the table in front of her, she again attempted to start a conversation with her.

"Lovely day today, isn't it?"

"...En."

"...."

She tried again.

"So...Is there anything you'd like to do?"

"Doesn't matter."

"..."

Feng Yao finally couldn't stand it anymore. Abruptly, she stood up making her chair fall backwards. Hui Yi slowly opened her eyes and stared coldly at Feng Yao.

"Look here. I'm sorry about you not being able to hook up with His Majesty during the banquet. I'm sorry you didn't get to meet privately with him. I apologize for getting in the way of your love life, okay!?"

Was it Feng Yao's imagination, or did Hui Yi's face suddenly stiffen? 

But Feng Yao continued on. A sympathetic look appeared in her eyes as she gently patted Hui Yi's shoulder.

In a soft voice she said, "It's okay, I understand. It's only natural that you love His Majesty to this extent. If you'd like, I can even put in a few good words for you. Perhaps you might even get the chance to become his concubine."

Hui Yi's pretty face paled at her words.

Hmmm? How strange~

Feng Yao suddenly felt like she wasn't so bored anymore. In one smooth motion, she righted up her fallen chair before sitting down elegantly with her legs crossed.

Although she certainly didn't have the image of a young noble woman like Hui Yi did, the servants watching still couldn't help but raise their eyebrows in surprise at her sudden agility and grace. 

Resting her hand into her propped-up hand, Feng Yao tilted her head curiously as another thought popped into her head.  

"So what do young misses do anyway?"

Hui Yi was so still that Feng Yao almost thought that she didn't hear her question. Just as she was about to repeat it, Hui Yi's low voice answered.