Chapter 24 - The Illusion of Escape

Cries of shock and wonder rang out among the crowd. No one could believe the bombshell that the messenger had just dropped.

"The legendary strategist is a female? And she's going to be our empress!?"

"Where has she been hiding!? Was the Emperor sheltering her for all of these years?"

The messenger raised his arms in an effort to silence the crowd.

"Everyone listen! His Majesty has announced that they have decided to marry in order to stabilize our country! They are both deeply in love and wish for nothing but to join forces to help us, the people of the Wei Kingdom!"

The rest of the messenger's words faded away as Feng Yao turned around and left. It looked like there was no more time to stay here. 

I don't have time to get what I came here for. I hope it's still safe in the medicine shop. 

Her steps were calm in order to not attract attention, but each move she took was swift as she left the increasingly crowded main city area.

More and more people began to appear out of their homes as the news of the old man's hanging corpse and the emperor's sudden decree spread like wildfire. Feng Yao had no choice but to stick to the edges of the building in order to not be swept away by the crowd. 

"What if she brings us into ruin like she did with the Yuan Kingdom?"

"Shh! Don't say that! I'm sure that our Emperor made the correct decision!"

"Yes! His Majesty is a wise and powerful ruler! I'm sure that His Majesty will lead us into a great era!"

Their voices drifted into Feng Yao's ears as she hurriedly walked away. Her head was down, but her eyes continuously scanned each person that appeared. 

Feng Yao's plan from earlier had been to use the blanket of night as her cover to escape from the Wei Kingdom. But the fact that the Emperor was willing to announce her identity to his entire country meant that he was confident she couldn't escape.

And that is because--

Suddenly, she heard the crunch of dirt suspiciously close behind her. She had been paying attention to everyone else's footsteps around her, but this one seemed a bit too sharp and clear.

The pathway she had chosen had mud splattered over the road. If one wasn't careful, he'd accidentally step on a part that looked dried but was still wet underneath. As a result, it would slightly crack the mud on top and produce a small noise.

To anyone else listening, they wouldn't have even thought twice about the sound. But Feng Yao instantly knew that there was a person behind her that was not supposed to be there.

She continued calmly down the street. There were no more sounds of footsteps behind her.

They've caught on to my trick. I can't hear them anymore. 

Her sharp eyes searched around her for more signs of who was following her. Nothing was out of the ordinary. Besides the larger than usual crowd during this early morning, everything was the same.

At that moment, a slight breeze blew towards her from behind. Feng Yao discreetly inhaled.

...The scent of metal. More specifically, a newly sharpened blade. They are close behind me.

 Now the question is...which country are they from?

Her lips imperceptibly tilted upwards into a wry smile.   

The fact that the Emperor had announced her identity so freely without caring how Feng Yao would react meant that he knew she wouldn't be able to escape. And the reason?