Chapter 6- Recruits

I shut the door to my apartment quietly. I shouldn’t even be here tonight, I should be back at headquarters, working with test tubes and formulas, creating and testing serum. I shake off the guilt of ditching the other recruits for this job and throw my coat on the couch. It is so much quieter now, it probably would be the same in Abnegation but I doubt in Dauntless. I could see Dauntless all riled up with alcohol and daring temptations.
I crack open a bottle of my own and start drinking out of the bottle forgetting about a glass. I’ve been at it, working at night and getting a miniscule time of rest during the day to help complete this…project.
I plop down in a chair and lean my head back, looking at the ceiling.
I want to know what it would be like to be Dauntless. I want to know how to be brave even if you missed your chance.
I was perfect for three of the factions and slightly above average for the other two.
Amity the Peaceful.
Dauntless the Brave.
Candor the Honest.
Erudite the Wise.
And Abnegation the Selfless.

Amity and Candor were my least appropriate choices. The aptitude test never completely removed Amity from my choices because I actually helped the women in the vineyard for a short while before abandoning them for an Erudite debate. Candor wasn’t my best, that was below Amity’s score, but I still proved higher.
I remember the greed in the Candor man’s eyes as he removed the wires from my forehead and told me I was Divergent. It was always a possibility for my brother and I. My brother though, is not going to allow me knowledge about his aptitude even if I gave him a full report on mine.

Something breaks through the barriers of thought as I think back to his eyes. When I say his I mean Caleb Prior’s. Who knew he would be the one to transfer, but then again, Jeanine shared that Beatrice, as expected, transferred to Dauntless. I knew I saw some pride in those little eyes. Thinking of Dauntless reminds me of Tobias and Ash. I put down the bottle and run a hand through my hair. I miss them both. I could have had both of them if I hadn’t made this stupid decision.
I walk to the bathroom and palm some water into my face. I look up at the mirror as I run a towel over my face. All I see is baggy eyes and a paste white face. I look different, never getting any sleep has really ruined me.
I push in on my hollowed out cheeks; I haven’t been eating much either-- no time. A knock at the door snatches my attention and I go to answer it.
I quietly look through the peep hole and see Caine. He bangs one more loud time. “I know your looking you idiot, open up or I’ll break down the door.”

I roll my eyes even though he can’t see me. “Thought that arrogance was for Dauntless,” I say loudly.
He kicks the door and I jump back.
I reach for the door knob and open it for him to come in. He pushes past me and grabs the bottle on the table.
This is why you’re not working?” He’s more telling me than asking. He throws the beer in the trashcan and grabs my coat.
“Let’s go before dad has a cow.”
I roll my eyes this time so he can see. “Didn’t know that was scientifically proven.”
“Aria!” He growls. “Let’s go.” He throws me the coat and begins to push me out the door.
“But I’m tired,” I complain. “This lack of sleep is complicating my sleep cycle and is deforming me in the process.”
He pushes harder. “Screw the cycle and besides you were already deformed.”
I growl at him and elbow him in the stomach. He thrusts out a hand and flicks me in the back of the head-- his nail knocking hard on my skull. The spot where his nail came in contact throbs and heat rushes through the spot.
“Jerk!” I rasp.
“Dog,” he bites back and slams the door behind us.

We walk out into the streets which are damp from rain. It’s early morning, around Three and most people are asleep. Not Caine and I though.
Caine works with our father on a similar project, just with more technical assignments. The thing is, their work is totally classified so I'm dismissed of any details. We make it to the library, which anybody could guess, is Erudite’s headquarters. We walk through the doors slightly wet from when a drizzle came.
My father came walking out, a lab coat hanging around him. “You found her,” he says matter-of-factly.
“Yeah, sitting at home.”
I roll my eyes.
“Aria, don’t you know how important this is?”
“Of course, do you not know how important rest is too? I haven’t slept more than five hours for the past three days!”
My father shakes his head. “I know it is stressful, we all are working hard but it is for a good cause.”

I laugh menacingly. I remember Tobias telling me that whenever I am tired and angry I get crazy. Guess he was right.
“What? Brain washing a few hundred Dauntless is a good cause? Re-check your theory of the pending outcome and get back to me.” I storm away and push the button for the doors to the elevator to slide closed as soon as I enter.
Caine and my father both stare at me in shock-- more my father than Caine, he still knows me too well.

“Where were you?” Jeanine says standing with her hands placed on her hips at the elevator doors.
“I had to get something from my apartment, sorry.”
“This is why your aptitude eliminated any possibility of you transferring to Candor.”
I roll my eyes as she turns her back and begins to walk quickly down the hallway. She lifts her hand in the air and snaps her fingers.
“Ria, with me, now.”
I jog up beside her and mimic her quick steps, her “pressed for time” look, and her dangerous aurora around her body.
I do feel a drag in my step but I try to pep it up. “Coffee, Harry, now,” I bark at a boy two years older than me. He has every right to say no, but I have turned into Jeanine’s much needed assistant that everyone fears. They all do as I say.

We get into the lab and immediately everyone puts down their test tubes and waits for Jeanine to speak. I look around the room at all the volunteers. Most of Erudite was participating in the cause to destroy Abnegation. Many of the new initiates had heard rumors of a big project going on and had offered their assistance. Jeanine denied any assistance from what she said were "young and untrustworthy children." 
“Welcome everyone, our hope for a better future is what brings us here today. We all have the same feelings that Abnegation has been holding out on us, correct?”
Everyone says “yes.”
I think, “No.” Harry sneaks up behind me and slips me my coffee. I take a gulp, ignoring the burning in my throat. 
“The only way to prove that Abnegation is not doing right is by eliminating those of power and rethinking the city board, correct?”
Everyone says “yes” again.
I think “No,” again and take another swig. 
“Well then, let’s get started,” Jeanine says.