Chapter 2- Choices

The following evening was the time I had waited for for my whole life. It was amazing that I hadn't broken down yet. Nervousness and excitement was beginning to take control of my body.  

Tobias and Michael flanked me while Marcus shadowed us all the way to the front of the building. Though it was technically suicide to walk in such heat, Marcus waved off the bus. I watched it in agony as it drove away.  

"Hello Andrew," Marcus said to a man walking towards us. The man was just a little shorter than Marcus with dark hair and clover green eyes. At his side, a little blonde girl held his hand tightly. 

The girl was tiny, she had to be only fourteen but she still stood shrunken. Like most Abnegation, they try to disappear.  

Marcus bowed heads with Andrew. I've seen Andrew at our house before. Most of the time it was on business that Andrew would visit, which drove us children up the stairs and into our rooms.  
I feel Marcus' grip on my arms tighten and all at once we bow our heads in unison.  

"How are you children?" Andrew Prior asks. He's another council member and is also a close friend to Marcus. A boy who looked close in similarities to Andrew walked up behind him and laid a hand on his sister's back.  

Marcus pinched me again so I started talking. "I am fine Mr. Prior, thank you for inquiring."  

I nudged Tobias and he got the hint. "Doing well, thank you." Then Michael answered similarly.  

"You children do well at the Choosing Ceremony," he smiled once more and bowed his head to us. The boy bowed as well but the girl began to walk away before realizing and came back to say goodbye.  Passing by, Marcus patted her on the shoulder saying "Goodbye Beatrice." 

I watch her over my shoulder. She won't stay. She can't even do the simplest of things that Abnegation believes in. Well, neither can I for that matter, and i'm leaving. Soon it will be her turn. Soon she will bring shame to her family, like Tobias and I plan on doing, which is if she leaves. I have no doubt she will stay though.

I smoothed out my grey robe and kept close to Tobias, sometimes brushing his hand so I knew it was real.  

We walked up the stairs with the other locust swarm of Abnegation, all who gave up their spots in the elevator. We entered the room with plenty dignity but a lack of breath.  

Things went according to plan. We stood in line with the other Abnegation children. Marcus stood next to Andrew who returned without his children this time.  

I felt ragged as I tried to return to the safety room in my brain, the mental security blanket that I can curl under and feel protected. I found it and I stayed under it until I felt a small tugging on my arm.  

A man with stony blue eyes and greying hair looked down at me. His hand was still on my shoulder as I looked up at him. That blanket began slipping from my arms. The safety began to diminish rapidly and the air turned frosty.  

"Magdelena?" he said heavily.  

My jaw slacked as my father's strong arms pull me in. My head hit his chest and I grunted just a little.  

"Father?" I whispered. My voice came out creaky and quite.  

"It is you," he mumbled and held me tighter. My ear was being crushed and everything I heard came out muffled.  

"What are you doing here?" I asked in a small voice. I felt so weak standing next to him, pretending to be something he still cared about.  

"I wouldn't miss this day for any treasure in the world," he smiled tightly.