The Few

Fun facts:

(Y/N)-Your name                                        (E/C)-Your eye color

(F/N)-Friends name                                    (H/C)-Your hair color

You hear the murmuring of your parents through the walls. The walls are thin here, and any sound is not usually allowed and can be punishable by death. But this is the set hour at night that adults are allowed to make noise. But not too much noise, or the guards will take you away. You're also not allowed to make a noise called music, but you weren't sure what that sounded like anyways. 

Your breathing picks up as your nerves start to get the best of you. Today was the day you decided you were going to leave. You had to get out before this life got the best of you. You haven't told anyone of your plan, not even your best friend (F/N), because you couldn't take this risk. You know that they'll understand.

Anxiously under the covers, you twist around. Waiting. Waiting for the bell to ring, showcasing the end of the hour. After that, you decided you would wait yet another hour before you left, to be sure that your parents were asleep.

RING

Okay, so now you have an hour to kill and your anxiety is climbing to reach new peaks. You grab your bag and start to shove things into it that you've hidden in your room. In the end, the bag will consist of a couple of snacks, water, a pocket knife, and a map that you stole from the library. The map shows the outlying of DEMA. It has a name, but you are too nervous to remember what it's called.

BREATH

You keep telling yourself to breathe. Everything is going to be fine. And hey, if you don't make it out, anything is better than staying here, including death.

RING

Okay. It's time now. Tip-toeing over to your parent's room, you slowly open their door. You wanted to say goodbye one last time.

"Good-bye," you whispered. It was a cold, blue goodbye, but you couldn't say it any other way. You might get guilt tripped and you HAD to get out.

Grabbing your bag, you look out your bedroom window looking for guards. You don't see any, so you slowly start to open it. The window creaks a little, but other than that, you are quieter than the bishops themselves.

You stand up on your bed and hoist yourself through the high window. Your family lived in the basement of a corridor, so you were already on the ground. Once you touch the grass, you stand up and start to fast walk to the outer edges of town. Since your family was one of the richer and well-known families in DEMA, you lived closer to the towers, and you lived in the section run by Nicholas Bourbaki. It was a privilege to live that close to the bishops. A privilege you never quite understood. 

You start across the grass and sidewalks, looking around frantically. You kept your (E/C) eyes on the lookout for guards. It was highly unlikely any bishops were out tonight, but the thought made you even more nervous. 

Running and running, until you got to the last section of houses. Past these houses was the wall. And along the wall, you should find a passage to get out. 

All of a sudden you hear shuffling. You turn around slowly, crouched next to a house and see a group of guards walking by. You hear their radios go off and a broadcast comes through.

"Keep on alert for prisoners. There have been reports of a young Clancy traveling around in section Bourbaki."

Shoot. Someone must have seen you. They even went through the hassle of calling you a Clancy. 

Clancy was a nickname for a teenager who had escaped DEMA. He was one of the few heard to ever get past the walls, but some say he got brought back by Nicholas himself. Some also say he comes back and tries to help others escape.

You turn around and walk very slowly to the other side of the house. Surely out of earshot of the guards. You begin your quest looking for the escape tunnel. 

Just as you run past the unsuspecting guards, your trip. This is quite normal around here as the sidewalks are uneven. But now the unsuspecting guards are suspecting. You quickly rush behind a building in hopes that maybe they'll dismiss it, but they don't. They start heading in your direction. You look around frantically, but there is nowhere you can go to hide before they see you. 

Just before they come to the end of the houses and spot you, someone calls out in the distance. You can't quite hear what they're saying but it sounds like, "Sahlo Folina." You've heard of it, but you can't remember where. The call distracts the guards and you bolt.

You just keep running and running as fast as you can until you come upon the door. You begin to open the door when you hear something. Something like a group of horses trotting along. 

OH NO

It's the bishops.

You rush to open the door and slam it behind you. There isn't a lock so you just begin to run as fast as you can. 

You see a light at the end of this tunnel, and it looks like there is a person standing there, waiting for you. The end of the tunnel is very far off and you hear the bishops start coming after you off of their horses. 

You start to lose your speed. You are running out of energy and breath, but the light is getting closer. There is someone there wearing a green jacket with yellow tape on the shoulders. They are holding a torch and have a bandana covering their face. They seem to be shouting at you to run faster. You sprint as fast as you can. They stretch their hand out to grab yours.

As you get closer you realize that the person is a guy. This might be clancy. You reach your hand out as you are a couple feet away. You feel your fingertips graze him as he tries to grab your hand.

That's when the cold, dark hands grab your throat and pull you back.

Failed Perimeter Escape

Word count:1054