XXIV

"I

 really didn't know it would go this far." A preppy voice reverberated down the dully lit corridor. "I feel so guilty." Echo groaned as she sat up in her quaint little cell.

Her back ached, her cheek was swollen and several of the cuts on her arm had reopened. Benny had taken his belt to her back while she curled in on herself protecting her face. She'd screamed and screamed, no doubt being what had drawn the night officers to the cells. As they'd dragged Benny off, he'd got one last swing in clipping her face. Her body ached, but the pain was easily bearable. Nevertheless, the show had to go on, so she'd been curled on the bed making sure to whimper whenever someone walked by while she waited for her release forms to be signed. Following the slap of shoes down the corridor, Echo had to hide a snarl as Sydney and another officer popped around the corner stopping in front of her cell.

"Oh Echo, my darling." Sydney cooed hurrying to the cell edge. "You poor thing." She whipped her head back to the Officer, "I hope this isn't how you treat all your criminals. This is disgraceful."

Echo had to do a double take as Sydney lectured the cop. All Echo had ever known Sydney in was tattered jeans and baggy, holey t-shirts with biker boots to match. It was a rebel with a cause look, but always of the highest quality. Archer would have no less. That's why Archer allowed Echo to wear a thousand-pound dresses and Vivienne Westwood jackets because they screamed money, not fashion. But the girl who stood before her bars now...Sydney wore high waisted leather pants that stopped just shy of Louboutin black heels. A dark navy top swung just above the curve of her hips and was see through, showing off her black bra. It was a stylish look, one she recognised...

"Why the fuck are you wearing my clothes?" Echo snapped. Her blood boiled at the thought of Sydney wearing them. Hell, she would have had to get into her apartment to steal them the sneaky bitch.

Sydney blushed and looked to the officer who was stood as far back from the cell as he could. He wasn't scared of Echo per say, but after getting Officer Benny suspended for an undisclosed length of time, getting herself freed, all the while still under suspicion and behind bars, no one wanted to get too close. "Could you give us a moment." Sydney smiled sweetly. A ragged nod from the officer and Sydney and Echo were suddenly alone. Standing slowly and approaching the bars, Echo did another slow once over while Sydney cleared her throat. "Archer allowed me to stay the night after you were arrested. I needed some clean attire."

"That was twenty-four hours ago. You could have easily been home since then. Why is your skanky ass still in my clothes?"

Sydney bristled. "You're not around anymore Echo. Someone had to work. Archer didn't seem to mind that I remained around, so I did. Besides," She sniffed, running her hand down herself, admiring every curve. "They suit me more, don't you think." She smiled, waiting for a compliment.

"Are you fucking serious?" Was all Echo could say. "I never invited you into my place, what the fuck makes you think you can help yourself to my stuff?"

"But it's not your place sweetie." Sydney looked at her pitifully. "Archer bought it. He owns the building. He even buys you some of these clothes. So really, they're his. And like I said. He didn't mind I was there."

Echo growled. How dare Archer allow Sydney to raid her stuff. That was low, even for him. "So why are you here? Did Archer send you?"

Sydney smiled sadly, "No. Archer hasn't sent me. He hasn't mentioned you at all actually." Echo found that hard to believe. "And I didn't come to see you, though I was concerned as to how you would be coping. The real reason was Detective McQueen wanted to ask me some questions. So here I am." She smiled, doing a little popping motion with her hands, like she really did just pop into existence.