XVII

M

cQueen looked up and the shabby pizzeria front, the flashing neon sign still going despite that it was almost three in the morning. McQueen's head throbbed, and his feet ached, but he didn't stop. Two had been able to knock a few names off the list, but it seemed there a few men that matched the traits of a serial killer. Instead, they'd found a number of pissed of men who were displeased at being woken at such an hour, and quickly told them to "sod-off". Despite his gut telling him none of these men were the one, McQueen had to take alibis and Two had to verify them. Thirty-two men who could be a deranged killer and they'd only crossed off seven. McQueen sighed again.

Benny was now refusing to leave the car, stating they could all fuck themselves to Hell because he wasn't walking up another flight of stairs for no God-damn reason. McQueen hadn't schooled him on using the Lord's name in vain, but he'd been happy enough to let Benny sit this out. He was an ass and McQueen, despite his best efforts didn't like him. Ramirez on the other hand, was pleasant. He was cool and calm and didn't say much, but when he did, it was helpful and insightful. Such as, when they visited their last potential suspect: he'd had children's drawings all over the walls and Ramirez had asked if the man had a daughter. He'd said yes, and she was with him every night and 'yes' they could verify that with her if they would 'sod-off'. Hale may not have accepted the word of a five-year-old as an alibi, but McQueen followed his gut. This father wasn't there guy.

"What information do we have on this one?" Ramirez asked coming to stand beside McQueen on the side walk.

"The name on the Café's register is Kendrick Maddock. He signs in once a week to check emails and watch porn it would seem." McQueen had blinked at that one. Porn was sinful in its own way, but in public...?

Ramirez looked thoughtful, "Employed?"

"At a rescue centre for neglected animals." McQueen thought that could link to the canine bite marks they'd found, but that wasn't proof. The last guy had also owned three dogs under his name, but it turned out they lived with his divorced wife in the South.

Walking up to the front door of the pizzeria, he looked through the gloomy glass. It was empty of movement except for the fat rat munching on a dropped piece of pepperoni. McQueen shuddered and joined Ramirez at the small door that was to the side of the place. The dirty white doorway was cluttered with take-away flyers and damp newspapers. He'd looked for a bell-button but found none. The peeling paint was oozing stuff he didn't want to further inspect, and mould was growing at the edges. He really didn't want to touch the wood...

McQueen raised his knuckles and knocked on the door, "What the...?"

The door creaked open under his first pound; swinging inwards. Drawing their guns, Ramirez and McQueen moved as one through the door, Ramirez in front and McQueen sweeping behind watching their backs. Directly to their front was a steep set of stairs rising to the apartment above the shop, the walls yellow with grease. The carpet was a mossy green and squelched underfoot. As McQueen foot almost slipped on the moist carpet, he now promised to never complain about staying in the Spindle & Thread.

They crept up the stairs, hearing the hallow thumps from above until the top level greeted them with two doors. One was open to revile a dimly lit, neglected bathroom while the other was closed. Standing either side, McQueen and Ramirez signalled one another. "Kendrick Maddock, this is the Police. We would like to ask you a few questions." McQueen called out.

If you listened, you could have heard a penny drop. McQueen shared a singled look with Ramirez when a sudden clatter of noise radiated from the closed room. A quick twist to the door knob, McQueen and Ramirez were inside, watching the tail end of an ugly shirt fly into an adjoining room. McQueen almost stumbled at the smell, but quickly caught himself, making a fast pace behind Ramirez. "Freeze." His partner cried, "Put your hands up."