In a Foreign Land

Ravynna Springs was a tiny, marshy crop of land spattered with the occasional straw hut or log cabin, which Charles assumed were for the wealthier residents-not that it was that nice.

            Ruby wrinkled her nose at the strong stench emanating from the, well, everything. His pampered princess sister was not used to anything that wasn’t designed for the blue collared set. He couldn’t help it that they were born with a silver spoon in their mouth. That was just the way life worked.

            “So,” Darla asked, looking around at the bustling village with wide eyes. “Where do we find the Centaur Chief?”

            Charles shrugged. “I have no idea. We don’t learn much about leaders of other types of monsters.”

            Just then, two kids walked over. The girl was rather tall with Asian features-pale skin, dark almond eyes, and long, straight black hair. The boy next to her was short, with a reddish blonde cloud of curls and wide eyes that were some sort of mix between orange and gold. He offered a friendly smile.

            “We couldn’t help but overhear you’re looking for the Centaur Chief,” the girl said, raising a slender eyebrow. “Well, he happens to be away for a meditation night on the bluffs. He’ll be back in the morning

            “Oh,” Cecily replied, looking bummed. “Do you know if there is an inn we can stay the night in? It’s extremely urgent.”

            The girl glanced at the boy. “What do you say, Alfred? Why don’t we let them stay the night in our hut? We have a few extra cots.”

            The boy-Alfred-shrugged. “Why not?”

            The girl turned to them once more. “By the way, my name is Wren. I don’t look it right now, but I’m a kitsune-fox girl, basically. And this is Alfred-he’s a sphinx.”

            “And we’re-”Charles began

            Wren held up a finger. “Dragons, yeah-I guessed. Only dragons could have that high-and-mighty look on their face.”

            She smirked and skipped away. “Follow me to our lovely abode!”

The gang exchanged weary glances and followed the gleefully skipping girl until she arrived at a small, run-down hut crafted from brown, withering straw, pebbles, and mud. It was anything but luxurious. Charles had never slept in a room that wasn’t designed for a prince.

            “So how long have you two been living together?” Darla asked, looking the most comfortable out of all of them in their dire surroundings. “Are you two married or something?”

            Alfred burst out laughing, his shoulders shaking. “Me? Married to this piece of work? I’d rather eat my own face. Nah, we’ve been living together after our parents died a while ago in an accident.”