A Morning to Remember

Darla saw no dragons that first night at Dawn Academy.

            After she showered quickly in the tiny dorm bathroom and changed into some clean white linen pajamas in her pre-filled wardrobe, she expected them to appear in shadows. After all, she was heading to bed. It was about time for them to make an appearance.

            Darla, despite being exhausted to the point of barely even being able to keep her eyes open, couldn’t fall asleep. Her eyes kept scouring every darkened corner of the small bedroom. Nothing. They weren’t here.

            Now that she herself was a dragon-or at least, some sort of dragon shape shifter-maybe the phantom dragons no longer needed to bother her. That would be quite a relief. It felt foreign to fall asleep so soon, without the sight of dragons in her peripheral vision. When was the last time this happened? Years and years ago.

            It felt good.

            That night, Darla had no dreams-just pure, blissful, soothing sleep. The perfect remedy to a chaotic, anything-but-ordinary day.

            The sound of high-pitched, overly cheery music blasted into Darla’s ear.

            “What is that?” she moaned, groggily stretching.

            “Ah, sorry. That’s just the clock’s alarm. I like music better than that god-awful horrendous beeping,” a girl in the bed next to her chirped.

            Darla looked up, startled. She began to take in her surroundings-an average-sized room with two beds, peach-colored walls, two desks, a closet with two wardrobes in it, and a bathroom. It looked like Cherry Creeks dorms, but ten times nicer. And the view…it was nothing like Indiana farms.

            Peering out of the ornate stained glass windows, Darla could see the palace, gleaming white in the sunlight, drenched with morning dew. She could make out every brightly colored flower and white-frilled tree sprinkled in the palace gardens. A glimmering blue pool glinted in the sunshine nearby.

            “I’m Cecily-Cecily Hannigan. You know my father,” the girl said, her voice so cheerful it made Darla cringe.

            Cecily was quite pretty, the kind of girl who was wholesome and sweet as a baby lamb. She had light brown skin, dark eyes framed by thick, luscious lashes, and jet black hair that fell in spiral curls to her chin. A tiny dimple pierced her left cheek. Darla always wished she had a dimple.

            “Uh, I’m Darla,” Darla replied, not quite sure what to say. She was always antisocial, a loner. Her only friend was Piper-that was, until Piper turned into a grotesque devil beast. Now, she was officially friendless.

            “Oh, trust me, I know. You’re the Dragon Mage! Next in line after the Great One-the Almighty Laurel! The golden dragon with the ocean blue eyes! You are…you’re the most powerful dragon in Pharix, Darla,” Cecily gushed, her chocolate brown eyes widening. Her pupils were huge.