A Daring Rescue

They had a plan-a ridiculous plan, an insane plan, a plan that might just end up with all their heads on a silver platter. But nonetheless, they had a plan to stop the White Maidens, rescue their classmates, and save Fern, the newfound prophet.

            “This has to work,” Ruby whispered, pushing a lock of silky ebony hair out of her pale heart-shaped face. “Otherwise, we’ll be responsible for a Dawn Academy massacre.”

            “It’ll work,” Darla insisted, continuing to crawl through the musty, incredibly small vents that encircled the ceiling of their school. “If we do everything right and Charles can get to Fern soon enough, we’ll be heroes.”

            Ruby’s eyes, the exact color of a stormy ocean, darkened. “Darla, this isn’t about being heroes. This is about helping people, protecting people. We’re the only ones strong enough.”

            There was a certain irony that the two short, rather scrawny teenage girls were the fiercest warriors in Pharix, but Darla had no time to dwell on that. The lives of her classmates were ending.

            “Okay, we’re above the storage unit. I can see the White Maidens and all the students tied up. They…the White Maidens have begun the Summoning. I think they’re planning on sacrificing all the students to the Wreckers,” Darla whispered, keeping her voice as low as possible even though they were several feet up.

            “Charles, Fern, and Hugo should be here any minute now. You have the thing?” Ruby asked softly.

            Darla nodded confidently. “I’ve got it. We’re ready as can be. Those Evil Tongue Girls are going down. Do you have the Forbidden Magix ready?"

        Ruby looked anxious. "Charles and Hugo have probably already begun the chant. I'll start now and hopefully we'll be able to gather enough power to fuel your...you know."

        "Namoyt, sarra, goddess of heaven, earthren children...." Ruby began to mumble, her voice soft and low. The Magix they were about to attempt was extremely dangerous. Darla knew she couldn't waste anymore time.

         She gave Ruby one last look before tearing open the vent and jumping down. As the rushing air compressed her, she released the golden magic soaring within her and transformed into a dragon in a wink. Phew…that process was getting so much easier with more practice and time.

            The White Maidens whirled around from the ground where they had been chanting nonsensical rhymes.

            “The mage has arrived, watch her die. The Wreckers are coming, complete the summoning,” they chorused in their high, sweet voices which were almost hypnotizing.

            “I will savor killing you, O Chosen One,” a voice declared from behind Darla. She recognized that voice-that comforting, kind voice that always made her happy.

            Piper. Her best friend Piper from Cherry Creek, the one that had been by her side since the beginning, even after her parents abandoned her. Piper, who was a hedious fiery devil.

            “Piper,” Darla breathed, her green eyes widening as she spotted her standing next to the door.

            Piper wasn’t in her devil form. She still appeared to be a normal sixteen year old girl, but you could tell something had changed. Her raven locks were snipped into a sophisticated pixie. Her skin had become bronzed, and there was a devious glint in her wide chocolate brown eyes. She was wearing a flowing black dress which glimmered with silver like chips of diamond.