The First Battle

The smoke was a heavy, black-gray fog slowly easing its way around Cherry Creek, entangling the doorways and entwining with the rushing, screaming gaggle of students trying to find the exit.

            Dr. Clancy, who was sputtering from the intoxicating smoke, opened up the door of the infirmary just a crack. Darla didn’t even have to peer over her shoulder to know that this would be her last moments. The pure and unfiltered grief and sorrow painted on Dr. Clancy’s prune-wrinkled face was enough of a sign than any.

            “Oh dear god, why,” Dr. Clancy whispered.

            Not even glancing at Darla, she ran to the frosted windows and slammed on them, to no prevail. Darla considered telling her that all the windows were impenetrable, but decided against it. The woman had already become hysterical.

            “I’m sure there is another way out. We can just crawl under the smoke,” Darla said, not quite sure why she was trying to console her doctor.

            She headed to the doorway and opened the door just a smidgen. The sight left her breathless. What was supposed to be the hallway was a charred black pile of heap, filled with ashes, broken ceiling fans, and sizzling with orange bursts of flames. She glanced up at the broken ceiling to see a gaping black hole. It was as if someone had dropped a fireball. Darla could still smell thick, pungent, raging-hot fire, so where was it coming from?

            Out of the corner of her eye, she spotted it-a ball of searing red and orange fire, rolling towards her. No, this couldn’t be real. This defied all laws of physics and gravity. Darla let out a scream, paralyzed like a statue as the huge fireball spiraled towards her, leaving behind a trail of black char and smoke.

            Just then, a figure leaped into the room behind Darla and slammed the door shut, locking it into place. Darla quickly took in the pale blonde ringlets and innocent blue doe eyes. Nurse Julie.

            “Are you insane, Julie?” Dr. Clancy roared. “Did you see that giant ball of fire heading straight towards us? We need to get out of here!”

            Nurse Julie slowly shook her head, making Darla feel odd inside. There was something almost paranormal going on. She could sense it

            “I’m afraid the fireball has destroyed the majority of Cherry Creek. Some of the kids have fled to the basements and the lucky ones managed to get into the courtyard, but it doesn’t matter. If the fireball doesn’t kill them, well-something else will,” Nurse Julie whispered, her expression dripping with hurt.

            “What do you mean, something else? What the hell is going on? Did someone drop a bomb or something?”  Darla demanded, the terrifying image of the speeding fiery bullet charging toward her still seared into her mind.

            “Something evil has arrived at Cherry Creek. The fireball is its ammo. The soldiers are still here, ready to kill until they find who they’re looking for. The Dragon Mage,” Julie proclaimed, her voice still high-pitched and syrupy sweet.