Chapter 5

Chapter 5

"You okay over there?" Max interrupted my rampaging thoughts with a nudge to my arm.

"Not sure yet." I admitted.

"I've got a lot more grovelling to do if you think you can stand it."

"More grovelling?"

"I haven't explained about what happened at Ry's birthday." He winced.

"Please, don't bring that up."

I turned and stared out of the window. What he didn't realise was that I'd spoken more to him than my own sister since that incident occurred. Usually, I wouldn't go a day without talking to Carly. The egg in the lap disaster had affected me more profoundly than I could ever explain to anyone. The last thing I wanted was to talk about my clumsy moment.

"I'm bringing the topic up, even though I can see that it makes you uncomfortable," he said as he rubbed a finger against my tightly clenched ones. "Once I say what I need to then I'll never mention it again, okay." His voice softened in an encouraging tone.

"I don't have good catching skills." I blurted out and wished I hadn't spoken.

"Dawn, tonight I've seen you carry those massive drink trays without an issue. You poured drinks with finesse and skill. Someone uncoordinated wouldn't have that great a balance." He pointed out.

"I can't catch when people throw things at me. That other stuff... it's work. If I wasn't good I wouldn't have my job."

"Fair enough." He paused and stared at me only adding to my awkwardness.

"Get on with whatever you want to tell me." I said, hoping that we could get through it before my face burned red at the reminder.

"I knew you were going to miss, but you knew too, didn't you?"

I ducked my head down before staring out at the darkness, so I didn't have to answer him. Sometimes he watched me far too carefully. Max tended to focus on me and I knew he'd done the same thing at that dinner. As much as it flattered me, it also made me twitch with edgy nerves.

"I guess you're not going to answer." He sighed.

"I told you I didn't want to talk about it." I crossed my arms and glared unseeing at the window.

"When you went to catch that egg, the little fumble you did was the cutest damn thing."

"Because it's so hilarious to watch other people humiliate themselves." I huffed.

"I didn't know it would upset you, Honey Bee, and I'm sorry, okay. When we first met, you had this overwhelming presence and I thought that was who you were. When that egg cracked in your lap, I thought you'd laugh it off or make a joke. Trouble was, you didn't do that. You showed a vulnerability that I didn't predict. Shit, I felt like a heel when I realised you were about to cry."

He kept talking and I had to grit my teeth. I hated that he'd noticed how my emotions changed that night. Out of all the people there, was he the only one, besides Carly, who knew how it affected me?

"I sent Carly to talk with you because I knew you wouldn't want to see me." He said and I darted my gaze to him.

"Carly didn't come to me by herself?" my voice cracked.

I ground my teeth together to keep from crying.  Why did we have to keep talking about this horrible topic? The last thing I needed was anymore terrible memories of that night.

"No, she insisted that you wouldn't appreciate her butting in but I persisted until she left to talk to you."

"That's true." I whispered.