6- Truth Be Told

Remind me to never tell a five year old anything I want to keep hidden.... ever...

Novas eyes widen and she removes herself from my side. She looks at me with disbelief before turning back to Hallie.

"Sweetie, why don't you go get mommy's secret stash of snacks and watch a movie in the den?"

Hallie, being as young and innocent as she was, not knowing the huge can of worms she just opened, jumped away from us and ran into the kitchen.

Once she was out of earshot Nova turned to me.

"Spence-"

"Listen, I Uh, probably should go" I say rubbing the back of my neck and standing up.

"No don't go" Nova says grabbing my arm.

God her touch felt so good. It sent shivers down my spine.

"Please Spence, don't leave"

I gaze into her eyes and see the vulnerability in them. She was confused and distressed. All because I couldn't keep my big mouth shut.

Hesitantly I oblige and sit back down on the couch.

"Are you thirsty? I can get you something to drink?"

"Bourbon would be great"

She raises an eyebrow at me.

"You do know it's like one in the afternoon right?"

I sigh and run my fingers through my hair.

"I know, I drink when I'm stressed. I have a problem Novs."

She places a hand on my shoulder and my body tenses up.

"Just relax Spence. It's just me."

That's the problem. It's just you

I close my eyes and take a deep breath, trying to calm my nerves.

It wasn't working.

"Spencer"

I open my eyes and turn my head towards her. She looked so beautiful. But I couldn't tell her. But I wanted to. God did I want to.

"Do you remember what you told me all those years ago? When Dakota first broke up with me?"

Of course I remembered. I remember every moment we've had together, good and bad.

I slowly nod my head.

"You told me not to waste my tears on him, that he didn't know what he was missing, he was an fucking idiot."

She chuckles and hangs her head.

"You said that I shouldn't let him ruin my chance at loving someone because I'd find the right guy eventually."

She tucks a stray piece of hair behind her ear, before looking into my eyes.

"You were right. But at the time I had thought it was Wes, I thought that he was my knight in shining armor."

She pauses.

"But I was wrong. I don't love him, I don't think I ever really did. I think he was just there at the right time and I wanted to fall for him."

My heart race increased and my palms became sweaty.

"But you know what I've realized these last few days Spence? I've realized that I need to let Wes go, and I need to look at who has been a constant in my life."

My breath hitches as she grabs my hand.

"You Spence. You've always been there for me, even when we haven't spoken in years you were there when I needed you. You were always there. I could always rely on you to protect me, or save me."