f i v e

Five nights passed, each ending with Tom and Alexandra sitting in front of the fire place. Some nights they spoke, some nights they didn't.

"What have you been doing with Riddle?" Parkinson asked Alexandra one morning. Alexandra ignored her question and retreated to the wash room to get ready for class. "Don't ignore me, Rivers."

"It's River. Singular," Alexandra corrected. She skipped breakfast to avoid Parkinson longer and instead went to her Divination class early.

"Ah, Miss River. I've been waiting for your arrival," the professor stated, not looking away from the glass ball in front of her. Alexandra swore she could see Harry in the image reflecting on it. "I'm sure Professor Dumbledore has already expressed his concern regarding how much time you've spent here."

"You know?" Alexandra asked. Still, the Professor didn't look away from the glass ball.

"Of course. It's in your prophecy, my dear."

Suddenly Alexandra mind wandered back to home, remembering the divination classes she would attend every Tuesday and Thursday. Professor Trelawney had paired her with Draco Malfoy for the year, and the two had surprisingly bonded over their lack of knowledge gained from that class.

Draco had known Alexandra and her parents before they passed. Their families had actually been close before Alexandra was placed in Gryffindor, but then they drifted apart rather quickly. Draco had been taught to loathe Alexandra and her friends, while Alexandra had taught herself to deal with it. It wasn't until they were reunited in those classes that they started to get along once again.

"What happens if I fail?" Alexandra asked, wondering what would happen if she decided to give up and go home right now.

"I know you're eager to return to your time, but the repercussions will be detrimental. Come," the professor stated, gesturing Alexandra to her desk. "See for yourself."

Alexandra did exactly that, placing her hands around the glass. The professor placed her hands over Alexandra's, and suddenly Alexandra felt like she was in a different world.

She saw images of Hermione lying on the floor, screaming as blood dripped down her arm. She saw Fred lying limp on the ground with rubble surrounding him, and a green light approaching Harry before he, too, fell limp on the ground. She saw a snake attacking Professor Snape, Dumbledore falling from the Astronomy Tower, and Draco crying alone in his bedroom as he looked at the Dark Mark freshly painted on his arm.

Overwhelmed by the images running through her mind, Alexandra let go of the glass ball. Carefully, the professor took it away and placed it in a secure case underneath her desk as if nothing happened.

Students started pouring into the classroom, walking right past Alexandra as she stood still in her spot. Instead of taking her seat, she ran right out of the classroom.