*Chapter 27*

After arriving back to Forks, things has changed drastically between Rowan and Paul. She tried to make everything better but no matter what she said, Paul remained detached, sitting or just standing silently next to her. Jared is looking at her differently now too and punishing her with his own version of silent treatment.

Rowan didn't mind of course, she actually did like the times that he was quiet just not the reason. However, what bothers her the most is the guilt that was building inside her, being reminded of all the things she had said or did to Paul and the others. It didn't help that they still act nicely around her, Paul would often drop off food for her and Emily would come by every now just to check on them.

Saturday was tiring one for her, in an effort to make amends to the whole pack, Rowan offered to help Emily cook and hang clothes all over the forest. Feeling worn out from all the housekeeping, she decided to sleep in.

The next morning, Rowan groaned, stirring in her sleep. The loud beep of her phone rang throughout the room, annoying not only herself but her neighbour. "Row, turn off your phone!" a frustrated Jacob complained, knocking on the wall between them repeatedly. "I'm trying to sleep.." he said, but at this time in a calmer voice.

"Fine" she said, rising up slowly. Leaning towards the edge of the table, she reached over to get her phone. It was still ringing, and when she raised it to her eyes, she frowned. It was Paul. Initially, Rowan gave her phone number as he complained of being so far away from her, so if he could not bear it, she allowed him to call her. And if that wasn't enough, which was almost always the case, then he could stay over and hang out with her for sometime during her time in Forks.

At first, she thought it was just Paul trying to outsmart her , but turns out he was telling the truth. Last night, at the council meeting, Kim had to leave early for some errands and Jared looked like he was about to have a full mental breakdown just by seeing her walk away from him. It was such a ridiculous thing, but of course Rowan didn't say that outloud, she didn't want to hurt Paul again.

Rowan and her grandfather just had a 'talk' last night too, regarding the tribe's secrets and her apparent insensitivity with it. It's not that she wanted to be rude and ignorant, but it's not exactly a normal thing to happen to any teen, but she does admit that she could have handled it better. She was just used to being so open and honest, but now she has learned that it's not always a good thing.

"Paul," she said nonchalantly , though inwardly she was a little bit relieved, maybe he would come back the way he was. Rowan missed his teasing and humour. "Why are you calling this early?"

A voice answered promptly , but it wasn't Paul's. "Hey, what are we going to plan for Paul?"

"Matthew, it's five am, can you call back later?" she protested, not bothering to hide the irritation in her voice, though she know it wouldn't make a difference. "and what do you mean?"

The older man huffed loudly, not believing that Rowan has forgotten the most important day of the year for his son. "Well aren't you the best imprintee ever,'' he said sarcastically. "It's Paul's birthday today, silly girl"

"Oh" she replied, not knowing exactly what she would have to do. "Can't you just get him a cake or something?"

"No, that won't do'' he said decisively, Paul deserve something good this year, especially after knowing his secret. Matthew has been proud ever since. "Come over so we can discuss it, Paul is out doing his early patrol"

"Can I go later?" she inquired, slowly laying down her bed again. "No!'' he screamed so suddenly that all the sleepiness has left Rowan's body. "He is going to go home soon so hurry up!"