Phone Calls <3 (Chapter 16)

The picture is, of course, Alexander Ludwig, also known as MAX :) Very cute with Kendra, ain't he? xD

ANNDD! another one of those extra speshul warnin's.

Cliff Hanger. I mean, like dangling from your legs and the blood rolling to your brain kinda cliff hanger. THAT kind. O.o Scary stuff. :P

Enjoy! :)

P.S- THANK YOU FOR THE AWESOME RESPONSES! The votes, comments, fans, you have no idearr how much they mean to me. :)

Chapter 16- Phone Calls

            “Liam Payne?” My voice cracked. It sounded vaguely familiar, but I couldn’t place where I’d heard his name before. I shuffled around the room, my eyes on full alert. My feet sunk deep into the carpet as I walked. “I’m sorry. You must have the wrong number,” I said, pulling the phone away from my ear to end the call.

            “Wait!” The boy’s voice gasped. He was British. Maybe I was just imagining the familiarity because of my connection to Louis. Yes, that had to be it. I pulled the phone back and huffed. “You are Christa Haynes, right?” Again, he sounded worried and panicky about something; the image of my mom during work hours came to mind.

            “Yes.” My eyes narrowed in suspicion. “What do you want?” I tried to hide my hostility, but he was being very vague and uninviting. I couldn’t believe I was still on the call.

            “Listen. You’re gonna get mad, but you have to hear me out.” Liam sighed and it seemed like forever before he would continue. Finally, with a much clearer voice, he did. “Louis… he didn’t mean to hurt you like he did. I promise. I mean, he was just… his head’s been in the clouds, and I know he means well for you.”
            “He means well?” How could this complete stranger tell me this, and expect me to trust him? Obviously, if Louis meant well, he would have restrained himself from lying to me. “How do you know him?”
            “I’m his friend… from the band.” With a huff of uncontrollable excitement, I realized that he was from One Direction. I stopped walking and turned to gaze through my bedroom window. The front yard seemed inviting; the neighborhood was quiet and peaceful. Despite myself, I couldn’t control my heart flutters and the amazing thought that I was speaking with a famous person. My voice was different, softer when I replied.

            “Oh.” I paused. “Well, that changes things,” I said, still in heavy sarcasm. Liam didn’t catch on.

            “Look. I know what its like. To be in love, I mean.” Liam’s voice sounded kind, much like my preacher at the end of one of his messages. God, I prayed, help me to be attentive. Help me to find out what he means by this. “Well, not in love, really,” Liam second-guessed himself. “What I’m saying is, I wouldn’t want things to be messed up between you two just because of the band.”
            I sighed. “You really think I care about that?”

            “Why wouldn’t you?” Liam actually sounded shocked. “I mean, that’s a life changing thing…we’re on tour, you know. If you two were together, it would be kind of complicated.” He became stern, like he was speaking with a child. “I should know.”
            “I take it you’ve been through that?”
            “Yeah. But trust me, me and Lizzy made it through. You and Louis could as well.” I couldn’t stop myself from being moved with compassion for Liam and his girlfriend. But his situation didn’t apply here.