fourteen - irondad

rewrite 

It was Friday. Tony and Peter sat sprawled out on the living room couches. The room was quiet, the only noise coming from the low volume on the TV, and the subtle whirring of the air conditioning above them. 

Tony glanced around the space, listening for the sound of footsteps down the hallway, or anything that might explain the uneasiness he felt. Yet, nothing seemed out of order. 

Peter sat silently beside him, distractedly playing a game on his phone. He flicked his head up, frowning. "Did you hear that?"

Tony looked towards Peter. "No?"

The boy was silent for a moment, simply looking to the roof above them. Tony did the same, trying desperately to see what the teenager sees. He shook his head, confused, although glad his strange feeling of discomfort  was shared.

Peter sat up, throwing his phone on the couch cushion. "There's someone on the roof."

Without another word, Peter climbed over the back of the couch, almost sprinting to the elevator. He slammed a hand against the button, the small arrow lighting up green. 

Tony sighed, but quickly joined Peter. If there was some sort of fucking alien up there that he would have to fight, Tony was so done. He was getting too old for this, he thought.

"How the fuck did you hear that? I didn't hear anything."

Peter shrugged. "I'm Spider-Man."

Tony laughed. "Yeah righto."

 The elevator doors slid open, and Peter shot out towards the roof. He followed wordlessly, chasing after the energetic boy. Emerging onto the windy rooftop, both men stopped in their tracks. In front of them, stood a spaceship. 

Tony paused. No, he recognised this ship. He sighed deeply, mumbling a quiet "shit" under his breath.

Peter looked at him excitedly, raising his hand up to brush his wind blown hair from his face. "Did you know about this? Who is it?"

"I had no idea, kid."

Peter turned his head in alarm, standing defensively next to the older man. Tony placed a hand on the boy's chest. "Stand down, they're friendly." 

"I thought you didn't know they were coming?" Peter frowned.

Tony nodded. "I didn't. But I know this ship."

The dramatically loud door of the ship began to fall open, a set of heavy combat boots hitting the walkway. 

"Stark!"

"Hello, Quill." Tony said staring at his feet awkwardly.

"My favourite human." Quill said, wrapping the other man in an uncomfortable hug. 

"You're human too, you fuckwit."

"Half human, actually." He replied, "met my Dad, he was an asshole."

"We killed him." A voice called from within the aircraft, Tony thought it was Mantis.

 Quill acknowledged the comment with a small smile, before turning his attention to Peter. "Who might this be?"

Peter looked to Tony, who placed a hand on his shoulder. "This is Peter, he helps me out in the lab sometimes."

Quill's eyebrows rose in surprise as he looked at the boy again. "My name is Peter too."

"No, you can't eat him just because he's little, that's not how this works!" The obnoxious voice of a certain rodent emerged next from the ship.

"I am Groot!"