four - irondad

this is so stupid oh my god (this is me looking back on stuff i wrote like 5 years later)

"May?"

"May, please."

"Please don't leave me, May."

Sobs wracked his small frame as he wailed against his aunt's shoulder. Her chest was still. 

"No, no, no, no, no."

Peter held May's face between his hands, his tears dripping onto her skin. "Why, May?"

"Kid!" 

A voice called from outside the crumbling mess of a building. 

Peter glanced up from May to see Happy standing just outside the perimeter, waving his arms around wildly. "You've got to come out here!"

Peter choked on his sobs, he felt the adrenaline starting to wear off. He kissed May on the forehead gently. "I will always love you. I promise, I won't let you down."

"Peter!" Happy yelled. "Get out, I'm telling you right now."

He could see the shadowy figure of the older man. Peter clenched the bloody material of May's shirt between his fingers. He couldn't face anyone out there, not like this. Not when his aunt was dead and it was all his fault.

"Get out of there, Peter, I swear to god."

He shook his head, tears still falling from his cheeks. "I'm so sorry, May. I'm so sorry."

 Without another thought, Peter shakily shoved his mask over his head. His legs shook beneath him as he spun around to the doorway. He looked once more at the hoard of paramedics and flashing blue and red lights. It was all too much. 

Happy was still yelling at him even as he sprinted straight past them all.

He ran through arms reaching out for him, yelling at Spider-Man to help them. Peter couldn't help anyone, not himself, and not his only living family. He clambered up the closest building he could find, and swung from one to the next. He wasn't sure exactly where he was anymore, his feet carrying him as far as they could before he lost the energy to continue any longer. His body gave out under his weight.

He had just lost his whole world all over again. Hi parents, his uncle. Now May was gone, and she wasn't coming back. Peter couldn't bring her back this time. 

He lied alone on the rooftop of one of the buildings. His eyes stung from the crying. Itchy and red, he rubbed at his face.

"Peter." Karen's voice rang in his ears, "you have an elevated heart rate, is everything okay?"

He choked back a sob to speak to her. "I'm fine, Karen."

"Shall I contact Mr Stark?"

"What? No, Karen, don't do that."

He pulled the tight mask from his face again. His assurance to Karen became irrelevant when drops of blood started to collect in a puddle beside his head. He pressed his fingertips to the back of his head. The blood clotting in is hair had him wincing and pulling his hand away. "Fucking hell."

"Calling Tony Stark" 

"No, Karen." He mumbled quietly, his breaths coming out sharp and harsh. 

"Yo," came the charismatic voice of Tony Stark.

The man's familiar voice had tears welling in Peter's eyes again. The muffled cries of the boy was the only sound through the phone's microphone.

"Kid?"