Chapter 1 : Is It The Start Or The End?

"I do," I said begrudgingly, wishing all of it was just one long nightmare.

But alas, my wishes went unfulfilled. I  mean the wedding certainly was a nightmare but unfortunately only in an emotional sense. Everything was very much real.

"You are now pronounced husband and wife. You may kiss the bride," the pastor announced with a smile; his mood evidently opposite to mine.

The phrase always annoyed me; 'You may kiss the bride'. What if the bride didn't want to be kissed? I certainly didn't want to be. But then again the circumstances of my wedding (and now marriage) were different to other people's. The main contrasting factor being that I didn't want to get married in the first place.
But I guess woe is me.

I looked at my apparent husband, silently daring him to come closer to me. Daring him to try to kiss me. The consequences of such an act would be dire for him.

He moved closer to me but only pecked me on my cheek.
Perhaps he knew what would be best for him because if he tried anything else, I would not have hesitated to murder him even in the public eye.

Some people cheered at his gesture. Others "aw"ed.
I merely scowled; it was the friendliest I looked all day.

"Congratulations," each guest - some familiar, some not - said to us(the newlyweds). There was little variation in each congrats although to be fair I wasn't paying much attention to anyone.

The entire situation still seemed absolutely bizarre to me. I was officially a married woman. Not a particular happy married woman but a married woman nonetheless.

I didn't attempt to make eye contact with the despicable thing I now had to call my husband. Every time I saw him in his smirking glory I was reminded of the day everything changed.

May 7th at 9:02am

The day I was instructed to get married.

*Flashback*

The sweltering heat was getting to me. I had chosen the wrong day to go for a jog. I felt like I would pass out or melt from the sun's intense exposure. Which ever came first really. A sense of relief washed over me when my house came into view again.

I needed to a shower before I drowned in my own sweat.

I noticed an unfamiliar car in the driveway. I didn't consider it an important occurence but I was curious as to who was visiting.

"Eomma, where are you?" I called loudly as soon as I entered my house.

I found her sitting in the living room with my father and another man who looked to be the age of my parents.

"Soo Hyun honey, you're back. You must remember Mr Kim," she gestured to the man next to my father.

"No." I stated plainly resulting in my mother glaring at me for what some people called honesty but she called 'lack of manners'.
"Anywho, I'm going to shower before my odour causes me or somebody else to faint." The glare didn't leave my mother but a touch of shame was now added in the mix.

The man chuckled either at my behaviour or his own insanity. Who was I to judge?

"I knew she'd be perfect for him," Mr Kim said. I looked at him sceptically. I'd never been called perfect before so I knew immediately something was fishy.

"She's exactly what my son needs," he continued.

"Huh?" The word of confusion leaves my mouth.