Chapter 9

We got home at 12:30am. I put Evie to bed and went downstairs and sat on the couch. I sat there and took in what happened today. My dad is dying this week. And I have to decide when.

Right then it hit me. I decided to FaceTime Leo before I started bawling.

"Hey y/n what's up," he said.

"My- my-" That's when the tears came. I just started bawling my eyes out on FaceTime.

"What's wrong?!" He said. I noticed him getting up. Then I heard a door shut. "I'll be there in a minute," he said.

"O-ok..."

he hung up.

I held my knees to my chest and cried into them.

•••

I heard a knock at the door. I wiped the tears off my cheeks the best I could then got up to get the door.

Leo came in and pulled me into a hug. He led me over to the couch and sat down next to me.

"What happened?" He asked again.

"My... my dad got into an accident..."

He furrowed his eyebrows and waited for me to finish.

"And he can't breath on his own..." I said, sniffling. "And I have to decide when they pull the plug..."

I started bawling again. He pulled me into another hug.

"It's okay," he repeatedly said in my ear.

•••

I woke up and saw Evie standing in front of me. Then I looked down at the other side of the couch and saw Leo, still sleeping.

"Who's that?" She asked.

I rubbed my eyes, once again getting mascara everywhere.

"Oh... that's my friend Leo," I replied, still half asleep.

"Are we going to see dad?" She asked.
To be honest, I completely forgot about that. Maybe it was my mind trying to distract me from the situation.

"Yeah... let me go get ready," I said, beginning to walk up the stairs. "If he wakes up, tell him I'm upstairs."

I went up to my bedroom and picked out a black, tight fitting crop top and high waisted jeans. I put on my all black converse and went into the bathroom.

I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I put on a fresh face of light makeup and brushed my hair.

I walked out of the bathroom and saw Leo standing in my bedroom. He was looking at a framed picture on my desk.

"My mom," I said. I must have startled him because he turned around quickly.

"Really?" He said, looking back at the picture.

I was only 3 in that photo. We were at Magic Kingdom in Disney. My dad had taken it.

"If you don't mind me asking... how did she die?" He asked.

I paused before answering. I stared at the photo.

"She'd just dropped me off at school. I missed the bus. She was going home to bring my sister to day care, but a truck swerved into her lane and hit her head on. She died in the hospital the next day," I explained, surprisingly not having an emotional breakdown.

"Aw... I'm so sorry," he said.

We stood here looking at each other for a minute. It was beginning to get awkward until Evie ran in with a ringing phone. She handed it to me.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hello, is this... y/n Wilson?" The lady asked.

"Yes..."

"This is your father's nurse. We have a bit of a situation with your father... we're going to need you to come in as soon as possible," she said quickly.

I heard muffled voices in the background. They sounded... panicked.

"I'm on my way."