Chapter 10

The next night, dinner was to be discussed in Dutch, but I was still reeling from the night before I lost track of whatever language I was speaking in. I just decided to speak in whatever tongue my mind could form. I sat down with my roommates, toward the back of the Grand Hall, and said, "Apparently the sophomoresare going into town for aCovOps lesson."

        Cassie and Leah stared in awe, and possible fear for my health. As for Gabs, she was used to me speaking in different tongues. So, Gabs spoke up and pointed her fork at the monitor. "Look at the monitor, Mags. We're supposed to be speaking in Dutch. That wasn't Dutch." After I calmed myself down I repeated the previous statement.

        "How do you know?"Gabs asked.

        "I hear everything, remember?" I replied and she sook her head.

        "Lucky," Cassie groaned. "My mom always said that Gallagher Academy was lie her second home. She was right. Guards at every door, limtations on where we can go, and no unauthorized trips out of the mansion. Yup, just like home. But, I guess, that's what happens when you marry someone who works for the Secret Service and her husband is planning to run for president soon."

        I nodded my head in agreement. Out of the four of us Cassie was the one who grew up with the most restrictions. Probably the main reason why she has a deep disregard for the rules, paticularly the ones dealing with safety.

        "Good evening, ladies," a voice said All four of us looked and saw Mr. Hobbes standing behind Gabs and me.

        "Good evening,professor," Cassie and Leah said.

        Mr. Hobbes pointed to Gabs and then to me. "You two," he said. "Follow me."

        We didn't hesitate , we got up and followed him. I could feel all eyes on us. The three of us walked into a classroom, Gabs and I sat in the chair while Mr. Hobbes sat on the teacher's desk.

        "Morgan Goode. Gabrielle Newman. Students. Seventh graders," Hobbes said as if he were reading our profile. So, I mimcked him.

        "Jacob Hobbes. CIA operative. Teacher," I said.

        The smile never left his face. He's trying, I thought. "Goode, Newman. Excellent, now that I've seen you more clearly it shouldn't be hard putting a name to a face anymore. Especially sine you two broke into the sub-levels," he said. My body stiffened when he said that. "You shouldn't be afraid girls, you should be proud. Breaking into the sub-levels is no easy task. You should also know that your little...expidition, let's call it, didn't go unnoticed. Thanks to you, we realized that  if two seventh graders can break into the sub-levels, something must be wrong. So I, personally, oversaw th Sub-Level security upgrade. You'll be hapy to know that, now, not even your esteemed mothers could break in."

        "There's more," Gabs said, but it didn't sound like a statement, but more of a question.

        "Yes, there is. The headmistress has put me in charge of dishing out your punishment. You both will have one-on-one sessions with me as your detention. In terms of how long, let's say the whole year or until you can impress me. You will be informed on when and where to meet me, but not what you will be doing. So, Morgan, you are to meet me inside the P&E Barn at eight o'clock and not a minute later. Gabs, room 115 as five AM. Dismissed," Mr. Hobbes said as he casually walked out of the room.

        "I don't know whether to be ecited or terrified," Gabs said.

        "Me neither."