14. Calling me back

Tess' POV: Saturday, February 18, 2012

I get dressed in my black dress. It's fine and some-what pretty. I don't care though. Two of my closest friends just died. I look at myself in the mirror. No. No i'm not going to be looking like shit just because I feel like shit. Sammy wouldn't want that. Tiffany wouldn't either. Sam would also hate me calling him Sammy but whatever. I look in my closet and pick out another dress. Much better. I leave my house and tell my parents goodbye. They have lunch reservations. They treated Tiffany and Sam like family and they're not even going to their calling hours. Screw them.

I get into my car and drive. I go to Tiffany's calling hours first. I sign in and go to the casket. This is easier then I thought it would be. I'm surprised. I look at her face. Her blonde hair is straightened. I wish people could see her blue eyes. She was in a light blue dress though,it'd match her eye color. She looks so peaceful. I can tell that there's makeup on her though, covering her true beauty. I knew that she had diabetes and some other weird heart condition, but I never thought she'd have a heart attack. She was always so healthy. I notice a light blue bracelet on her wrist. I gave her that at her birthday party over the summer. I smiled and started to tear up. I went over to her parents. "Hi. I'm so sorry about Tiffany. I'm sorry that my parents couldn't be here. If there's anything you need, just call me." I said. "Thank you sweetie. You've always been so nice to Tiffany." Tiffany's mom said. "It means so much that you could come today. Thank you." Tiffany's dad said. It was weird seeing them together and being so calm about this. She's their only child, and they're divorced. I remember Tiffany saying that her parents might want to adopt earlier this year. I hope they do. They're so nice. "Well I have to go. I need to go to Sam's calling hours now. Bye." I said. "Goodbye." Her parents said together in unison. I left and got in my car.

When I got to Sam's calling hours I debated going in. I had to. I just.....I had to. I have to make amends one way or another. It's now or never. I went inside and took a deep breath before I signed in. I saw the casket from a distance and just cried. I turned around and ran into the bathroom. I cried for about ten minutes and got myself ready to go inside. I walked over to the casket. It felt like time was slowed down. I feel nauseous. My heart is pounding so hard and so slow. My nerves are tingling. By the time I get over to his casket it feels like it's been a thousand years. I look at him. His face is so beautiful. He looks like an angel. I see some weird bruises on cheeks. He doesn't even look dead. He looks like he's sleeping and just is beaten up after football practice. I see the ring I gave him for our anniversary on his hand. God, why. I stared at his face and wished I could see his dark brown eyes again. His brown hair was messy, as always. He never did like combing it. He had a nice tuxedo on. He wore a light gray tie. He looked perfect. Why did we ever break up?

I look at the other end of his casket. Oh yeah. That's why. Now I remember. I look at him and pray for him. I get up and see his dad and brother. Oh no. "Hi Tess!" Tim says. "Hey Tim. Hi Mr. Rogers." I said acting happy. "How are you?" Sam's dad asked. "Good. I'm good. How are you holding up?" I asked. "We're dealing. We can't control these types of things. But we're doing ok." He said. "That's really good. I'm so sorry about Sam." I said. "Don't be. He's with mama now. When are we going to play again?" Tim asked me. Oh my god he was too cute. He was almost nine and acted like he was five. He was adorable. "Soon. I miss my soldier guys! They're so going to beat your guys next time we battle." I said. "No! Mine are going to win! I need to prepare them for battle when I get home." He said. Once again, he's too cute.

"Thank you for coming. I'm so glad you could come. You know that this doesn't have to be awkward. I never even knew why you two broke up anyway." Tim's dad said. "I don't really want to talk about it. At least not now. I have to go right now actually, I have a date-" I said as I stopped myself. I may as well finish what I was saying. "Um a date with my boyfriend." I managed to say. "Oh, ok. Have fun. Thank you again." Mr. Rogers said with a sad tone to his voice. He did always like me and treated me like family. It must be weird seeing me out of his life and then popping back in being completely different. "Bye Mr. Rogers. Bye Timmy." I said. "Bye." They said together. I left to get in my car. I was nearly about to cry by the time I got in the car.