(19) Present: 2024

(19) Present: 2024

My eyes flew open and I gasped for air, though I didn’t need it. I flinched when bright lights hurt my sensitive eyes and tried to shield the intense beams with the back of my hand. Something jerked my hand and kept me from blocking the sun. I looked up at my wrist and noticed the chains holding me back. Confused, I jerked on the before finally things clicked for me. I looked over at the people staring at me, my eyes wide and full of panic.

My neck snapped towards the left as I searched for Xavier. What I found was his still body. “Xavier? Xavier!” I shrieked, thrashing against the chains as I tried to reach for him.

“Lucy,” Joanna said, her hand touching my shoulder.

“Let me out of these chains! Xavier!”

“Yeah, that’s definitely Lucy…” she muttered and began releasing me from my metal restraints.

My wrists were instantly lighter, light enough for me to sit up and pull out of the cuffs. I knelt beside Xavier and placed my hand on his cheek. He wasn’t moving. I used my other hand to run my fingers through his too short hair. “Xavier?” I whispered.

Murmuring sounded all around me. I looked back to see Shana with her eyes closed, holding the hands of the other witches. They spoke in unison words I didn’t know. My breath hitched when they stopped. Shana looked at me with an exhausted half-smile.

Xavier gasped, his entire body jerking forward and nearly knocking me down. I didn’t wait for him to open his eyes. I threw my arms around his body and buried my face in his shoulder and tears of joy dripped out my cheeks.

I heard chains rattle and Joanna grumbling about him being impatient. When his chains were released I felt arms enclose me, making me cry just a little harder. We made it. We actually made it back. I pulled away from his shoulder and looked into his dark eyes. “Welcome back, my love,” I murmured.

He ran his fingers through my hair and, slowly, he began to sit up. He swayed unsteadily and let out a groan when he sitting up. “I feel dizzy,” he mumbled, grasping my shoulder to keep from falling over.

I bent backwards and wrapped his arm around my shoulder to keep him steady. “What’s happening?” I demanded Shana.

She was clearly still exhausted and shaken by the spell because her skin was paler than usual. “He hasn’t been in his body for twelve years. There’s bound to be some side effects. Just give it time.”

“I’m tired,” Xavier mumbled as his head pressed against mine.

My eyes met Matthew’s, who was currently observing from afar, and gave him a worried look. “Is there a bed here? Some place we can rest for a while?”

“Try the master bedroom down the hall. You two can stay in this guest house until you’re both better.”

I went to get Xavier to stand, instead he flopped onto me. Joanna stepped forward to help, but Matthew gripped her wrist and pulled her back. “I was just going—“ she began.

“I’ll help. You all must head to the main house. There’s about an hour’s left of night and I know you haven’t fed,” Matthew explained, his expression calm, cool, and collected as it always seems to be.

She glared at him and looked at me with her dark and narrow eyes. “Are you sure you’ll be okay out here alone? I don’t want some side effect to cause him to attack—“

“I won’t attack Lucy,” Xavier chimed in, his voice weary.

Matthew offered his shoulder to Xavier’s other arm and, together, we managed to carry him into the bedroom without trouble. I pulled the covers to his waist and stepped back to face Matthew. “I can’t even begin to thank you. I owe you and Shana everything because that’s what you gave me.” I was full of honesty and complete gratitude because Xavier was with me. He’s right here beside me.