(15) Present: 2024

(15) Present: 2024

I crossed my legs as I sat across from the woman who ruined my life. She was just as I remembered her, with golden locks of hair and a flawless complexion. She hasn’t aged a day. Clearly she was nervous considering her stilettos were tapping against the hardwood repeatedly. She never looked up at me, but instead kept her eyes on her candy apple red nails.

“Aren’t you going to explain to me why you did this to me?” I questioned in a hoarse voice. My head was still throbbing from Xavier’s attack.

She chewed her gum and glanced over at Joanna, who was pacing the floor. “I asked to speak to you alone. I don’t want Matthew or his wife here.”

Joanna grumbled and placed a hand on her hip. “Do you honestly expect me to leave while you pull some voodoo crap on my friend? Hell no—“

“It’s fine, Joanna. I’m not afraid of her,” I interrupted, narrowing my eyes at Shana.

Joanna hesitated, and finally left after seeing the determination on my face.

Shana looked at me finally, but her expression wasn’t harsh or fearful; she was sad. Her brows pushed together as her red lips quivered. “I wanted to start off with saying I never meant to hurt you or Xavier. I have nothing against you two and only did this out of survival.”

My brow shot up and I leaned forward. “Please tell me exactly what happened that night, and why you did it.”

She reached towards the table and grabbed a glass of wine before taking several gulps. “I didn’t plan any of it. Liam came to me the night before with his plan. I owed him a favor, anyway.”

My heart sunk. Maybe, deep down, I had hoped I’d been wrong about Liam. I hoped he was innocent. After everything we’ve been through, I had hoped he had always been genuine with me. But that was obviously all a lie.

“He was sent by Matthew originally. He was supposed to have me break the curse you and Xavier had placed on you. But instead Liam wanted me to break the curse between him and Xavier in order for Liam to kill Xavier. I refused because, not only is that against my morals, but I knew Matthew would have my family killed if I helped in the murder of a close friend.”

I grabbed a bottle of wine and poured myself a glass as well.

“I had learned Xavier was Matthew’s top fighter and that Matthew planned to use him in the war, so I offered to temporarily disable Xavier for Liam to bury him. Liam said it wasn’t enough, and that Xavier would just dig his way out because he’s too determined and obsessed with his mate.” She gave me a look at the last part. “Liam said as long as Xavier was on this planet, he would not rest until Xavier suffered for killing his lover. So I came up with the option to remove Xavier’s soul, temporarily, and to bury his body so it wouldn’t be destroyed. Liam was happier with this option than killing Xavier.”

“Where is Xavier’s soul?” I questioned slowly.

Shana swished her drink and looked down. “It’s where it was destined to go anyway. When I removed it, it practically went there itself.” She looked up at me. “It’s in hell.”

The glass in my hand slipped from my fingers and crashed against the floor loudly. Shards of glass scattered across the room as I stared at Shana in disbelief. “You sent Xavier to hell? Why would you do that?!” My voice was louder than I intended it to be.

“Because I had to stop the war!” she defended. “I got word Matthew was going to start the war soon. I thought that, by taking away his top warrior, it’d buy me some time to take down Matthew and the war. Things definitely didn’t go as planned…”