(13) Present: 2024

(13) Present: 2024

We all stood in the library, completely quiet. Matthew, Joanna, Nicholas and I were the only ones in the room. I stared blankly at the bookshelves behind Joanna’s head, my mind still reeling over the fact I’m not remembered by the man I care most about on this planet. Matthew had also spoken to Xavier, with the same results. Xavier doesn’t remember anything at all. He didn’t even remember his name. His careless attitude told me he didn’t care to know anything about his past.

A knock on the door startled me, but it was only a small woman who walked in and informed Matthew that Bianca, a witch, had arrived. We called her to help us figure out what was wrong with Xavier.

Bianca strolled into the room soon after, her massive dark curls bouncing as she walked. “Matthew,” she greeted. “I’m surprised you called me.”

Matthew kissed the back of her hand and stepped away. “Unfortunately, I still haven’t been able to locate Shana. I need your help figuring out what is wrong with my friend.”

She nodded, her smoky eyes darting from person to person. “Who?”

“He’s currently taking a shower,” I informed her. “He should be down any minute.”

“Alright. So you said he’s not remembering anything?”

“Nothing at all, and he doesn’t care to remember. It can’t be because he was without blood for twelve years. His creator was without blood much longer and didn’t lose her memory.”

She pursed her lips and took a seat on the desk. “I must say, I haven’t heard of many cases of vampires with amnesia. I know of one case where a man was cursed to lose his memories, but he was desperate to remember and eventually got them back.”

“Maybe that’s the—“ I stopped short when the doors opened.

Xavier stepped inside, his face shaved and somehow his hair cut. And by cut, I mean he shaved his head. It was the shortest I’ve ever seen it, practically a buzz cut. But it was his face that made me gap at him. The sharp features I could now see, and the fierce expression he wore was so familiar it made my heart ache. I resisted the urge to run up to him and smash my lips to his.

“Is this him?” Bianca asked.

Matthew gave a quick nod.

Bianca stood up and crossed the room towards Xavier. My stomach was in knots as she circled him with narrowed eyes and hands on her hips. Xavier seemed annoyed by her closeness, which worried me because rarely did Xavier show his annoyance.

“Look at me,” she commanded as she stood in front of him. “In the eyes.”

He glared into her eyes with a sort of anger I was surprised by. She flinched away from him, her forehead wrinkled in concern. Quickly, she walked away from him and glanced towards Matthew.

“I need to speak to you,” she told Matthew.

Matthew raised a brow and looked towards Xavier. “Nicholas, would you please show Xavier where we keep some of the blood.”

Nicholas, who had been quiet most of the night, nodded obediently and stepped towards Xavier. I was relieved to have Nicholas here because he was level-headed and a great buffer between Joanna and Matthew. Also, he has been one of my closest friends besides Joanna and Liam. “It’s right this way,” Nicholas murmured as he led Xavier from the room.

I watched with furrowed brows and a clenched heart. “What do you think is wrong?” I asked of Bianca.

She was chewing on her lip while pacing the floor. “It’s worse than I thought.”